Tank leak into bowl after repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Light_St

Reaction score
Hello, looking for some help after looking through old similar posts and trying my own repair to no luck.

Situation: My toilet was "phantom flushing" where the tank would leak out over time and then the fill valve would activate

Actions taken:
1) Replaced the flapper (no luck)
2) Replaced the entire flush valve and flapper with Keeney FlushAll
3) Replaced Fill valve (Fluidmaster 400LS fill valve)
4) Ensured that fill hose is above water level going into overflow tube
5) Ensured that the flapper and flapper valve surface are smooth and that the flapper chain does not interfere with the flapper.
6) Drained water to below the flapper line. No water was leaking into the bowl from below this level
7) No water leaks outside of the toilet. I have taken apart the whole things, cleaned pretty much every surface and installed entirely new hardware on everything.

I've turned off the water supply and put food coloring in the tank to see if a leak persists. The food coloring makes its way into the bowl, so the leak is still there. I've attached some pictures. At this point I've basically done a complete rebuild and looked through everything I can on the internet. Anyone have any ideas?

PXL_20211127_005924225.jpg
PXL_20211127_005857179.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
keeney-toilet-flush-valves-k835-9-c3_100.jpg
As the water falls to almost the level of the valve seat, you could drop some food color drops near the flush valve side. Don't stir. Watch for currents.

Is that flapper pretty hard material? Maybe a softer flapper would be good.

Looks like you have the old black chain in there two. That can't help anything.

How much slack in your chain? Have about two links of slack.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
He put dye in and it goes in the bowl . Tank keeps draining into bowl. I guess I'd try to change flapper again before removing tank, thought you tried that . Otherwise replace the complete valve, it should be covered by warranty. Easy

Light_St

Reaction score
Update:

Replaced the entire flush valve again, this time with an Everbilt 2" Flush Valve Kit. After initial inspection with food dye in the tank water, the leak seems to have stopped. The previous flush valve had a very large hard plastic flapper with a rubber seal underneath the plastic lid. Wasn't able to just replace the flapper on that one since it wasn't a normal size

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Update:

Replaced the entire flush valve again, this time with an Everbilt 2" Flush Valve Kit. After initial inspection with food dye in the tank water, the leak seems to have stopped. The previous flush valve had a very large hard plastic flapper with a rubber seal underneath the plastic lid. Wasn't able to just replace the flappe on that one since it wasn't a normal size
Yep, glad it worked out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks