Takagi TK-3 will not work in cold temps

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim66

Reaction score
Takagi tank less water heater ignitor lights but burners will not if ambient temperature is below 42 degrees. I can use a hair dryer and blow the internal components for about 2 minutes and unit will work fine. If temperature is above 42-46 degrees unit works without any "preheating" I have had service technicians out and called factory techs but no one can help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the installation or owner's manual say anything about what ambient temperatures it is allowed to be used in?

I'm guessing that the thing is outside for it to reach those temperatures. Things related to water can get damaged if it ever gets below freezing. A tank type heater may keep the area warm enough, but a tankless probably won't. Could you move it to a heated space?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
http://www.takagi.com/media/48228/T-K3-Pro.pdf

See page 8 of the installation manual. There is a DIP switch setting for outdoors. It doesn't list ambient temperature though is does state for outdoors it an area with mild, temperate climates.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.39.43 PM.jpg

Jim66

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I have it installed in the attic above garage. What is so strange is that it has been working great for over 10 years without any problems. We have had several times the temperature has been in the 20's and fortunately no problems, only recently.

Louisiana

Reaction score
@Jim66 I'm having the exact same problem -- folks don't understand the blow dryer trick... Where did you find guidance?? Thanks bro

Mhm69

Reaction score
Thanks to post on this site, problem solved. Replaced circuit board.
I have same problem, with error code 611 Fan Motor Fault
Where did you find the board, and was it simple to replace?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks