Takagi TK-3 will not work in cold temps

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Jim66, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Jim66

Jim66 New Member

Takagi tank less water heater ignitor lights but burners will not if ambient temperature is below 42 degrees. I can use a hair dryer and blow the internal components for about 2 minutes and unit will work fine. If temperature is above 42-46 degrees unit works without any "preheating" I have had service technicians out and called factory techs but no one can help.

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Does the installation or owner's manual say anything about what ambient temperatures it is allowed to be used in?

I'm guessing that the thing is outside for it to reach those temperatures. Things related to water can get damaged if it ever gets below freezing. A tank type heater may keep the area warm enough, but a tankless probably won't. Could you move it to a heated space?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida When the wife won't let you get a Harley!

Retired
    http://www.takagi.com/media/48228/T-K3-Pro.pdf

See page 8 of the installation manual. There is a DIP switch setting for outdoors. It doesn't list ambient temperature though is does state for outdoors it an area with mild, temperate climates.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.39.43 PM.jpg

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida When the wife won't let you get a Harley!

Retired
    Page 4.. The DIP switch setting may turn on this freeze prevention system.

freeze warning.jpg

6. Jim66

Jim66 New Member

Thank you for your reply, I have it installed in the attic above garage. What is so strange is that it has been working great for over 10 years without any problems. We have had several times the temperature has been in the 20's and fortunately no problems, only recently.

7. Jim66

Jim66 New Member

Thanks to post on this site, problem solved. Replaced circuit board.

Louisiana likes this.
  8. Louisiana

Louisiana New Member

@Jim66 I'm having the exact same problem -- folks don't understand the blow dryer trick... Where did you find guidance?? Thanks bro