Takagi T-K2 - Overheat cut-off fuse (High Heat Fuse) Replacement & Descaling Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Gerry Michaels

Reaction score
Please bear with me; I have zero experience in DIY/plumbing. I have a T-K2 that was installed about 10 years ago. Worked perfectly, even though I never had any maintenance service. (Didn't know it needed it). For 10 years, no problem at all until last night when got no hot water at all.

Takagi phone support helped diagnosed issue as a faulty Overheat cut-off fuse (the white wire that goes around the copper boiler/heat exchanger). Even though I didn't have voltmeter, tech had me disconnect the cut-off fuse at the white plastic connector and bypass the fuse using a paper clip to test. Viola! The T-K2 fired right up. But tech told me not to use unit with paper clip bypass.

So it's about a $25 part, but about 2-3 hours of service (@ $150/hr appox). Plus tech recommended flush/descaling if I replace the fuse since he thought that the build up in the boiler burnt out the overheat cut-off fuse. But he said that there was good chance that the flushing would damage the heat exchange and cause it to leak because he thought that the accumulated build up inside the heat exchange would weaken the copper.

Some questions:
1. Have any of you experience any leakage after flushing/descaling for the first time a Takagi that did not have any maintenance services for years? I figure the phone tech's experience might be skewed since the only people to call Takagi support are those who experience leaking but people who had no problem would not call.

2. Do they even sell T-K2 model anymore? Myunit is installed in a crawlspace so the side mounted hose/pipe attachments are crucial to it fitting in the space. I understand all of the new Takagi models have the hoses/pipes mounted underneath the units, which would not work in my space. Any other models from any other manufacturers with side mounted pipes/hoses?

Thank you!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks