T&P valve installed off a tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Holeshot

Reaction score
Hello Plumbers and thank you Terry for having this awesome platform. I hope everyone is doing good and in good health!

Question, is it ok to install a T&P valve off this tee

messages_0 (3) TPR b.jpg
?

Yw2s86VzksnNSNSNA

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
1. T&Ps are not installed on tankless water heaters. What are installed is a pressure relief valve.
2. You need to have a bypass union kit at the tankless unit to allow for descaling on an interval appropriate to water conditions present. The bypass kit comes with a relief valve.

Holeshot

Reaction score
IMG_20200123_130306.jpg

Thank you! I see, it's a pressure relief valve, no need for the temp.

Yes, I'm installing isolation valves. There's a pressure relief valve installed at the tee.

Question
Is it ok to install isolation valves without a pressure relief valve attached directly to the isolation valve? Since there's already a pressure relief valve installed off the tee.

The photo above. This is a typical installation with isolation valves. Usually a pressure relief valve is attached directly to the isolation valve.
TLoxubuNNRoJbnWg9

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the port for the relief valve is between the isolation valve and the water heater so that its always there to protect in case the water heater fails while isolated or in the open position.

Holeshot

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll install some isolation valves. I'd like to screw the connector hoses directly to the isolation valves and cap off the pressure relief valve port.

There's an existing pressure relief valve that's installed off the copper tee.

Or do I have to hard pipe it to the isolation valves with the pressure relief valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks