T/P Valve dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

clydeJ

Reaction score
Had a new gas furnance and water heater system installed in July 2000
converted over from oil. Recently I noticed all of a sudden the T/P valve drips normally after shower/tub taken and heater is fired up. was advise to replace the valve sometimes they stick alittle and i have tested it once a year. i replaced the valve and still a slight dripping when heating up. next I put a pressure guage on the tanks drain valve, 60 psi rading, left on for a day and high reading hit close to 150f the valve's rating reason for the drip. What is the next step and why does this happen? Also at the time of the new system installed an inlet pressure reducing valve was installed by the plumber before meter unit could this have gone bad? Any advice, is this safe?:confused::confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Classic symptom of expansion tank bladder shot...rap on the tank and you'll probably detect it being heavy, a sign of being full of water. Pick up a new one and replace. Probably in the $20 range at a big box store. SHould take all of 5-minutes to do if you have isolation valve(s), otherwise it is more involved since you would then need to shut down the boiler, relieve the pressure (and shut off the automakup valve), then remove the thing. Note, it is likely full of potentially very hot water, so be careful. If you don't have isolation valve(s) on the tank, you'd then need to purge the system, refill, and then turn the boiler back on.

If there isn't an isolation valve, you may want to consider adding one, as these things die periodically and it makes replacement much easier.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Either the expansion tank is failing or perhaps you don't even have an expansion tank. If you do not have one, you need one. The pressure regulator valve created a closed system and when the water is heated it expands and, has no place to be absorbed. It is possible but very unlikely the T/P is failing.

clydeJ

Reaction score
okay, I have an expansion tank behind the furnance is this used in conjunction with the hot water heater? If not and I need to add one speciffically for the water heater, where does it get located, something I can do?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you have a boiler, you need two - one for the heating system, and one for the DHW. The one for the DHW is different and will be labeled for Potable water use (they actually look similar, though). It should go on the cold side. Note, you only need that when you have a closed system. Your boiler is closed so always needs one. the WH may not if you don't have a check valve or PRV on your house water supply.

expansion-tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks