System won't hold pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Brettrice550

Reaction score
I recently had a new submersible pump, switch, water heater, and plumbing lines installed in my house. I am using the same pressure tank from the previous owner. When the pump is on, I instantly reach 20 psi. When the pump is off, the pressure goes to 0. I never achieve the 40-60 psi for the switch to work. I have run the system for 10-15 minutes at a time with no faucets open and all faucets open. I am not sure what the issue is. Advice?

Reach4

Reaction score
Could be various things. Could be a hole in the down pipe or some other place (such as underground) where you cannot see the water pouring out. Louisville? You probably don't have a pitless, so you would have a hard time looking down the well.

When the pump is on, how high does the pressure rise in 20 seconds?

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't be offended, but your pump is down the well, right? The reason I ask is that there is a thing where above-ground jet pumps may top out at 20 psi.

Brettrice550

Reaction score
Don't be offended, but your pump is down the well, right? The reason I ask is that there is a thing where above-ground jet pumps may top out at 20 psi.

The old system was an above ground jet pump. The new system is a submersible, down the well, pump

Reach4

Reaction score
From a diagnosis point of view, you could reduce the air precharge of the pressure tank to zero. What I think that could do is based on the pressure tank size and how quickly the pressure falls from 20, you could estimate the gpm of the leak. I am not a pro.

Did you have somebody put the pump in? Was the pump installation tested then? It sounds like some troubleshooting is in order.

Brettrice550

Reaction score
From a diagnosis point of view, you could reduce the air precharge of the pressure tank to zero. What I think that could do is based on the pressure tank size and how quickly the pressure falls from 20, you could estimate the gpm of the leak. I am not a pro.

Did you have somebody put the pump in? Was the pump installation tested then? It sounds like some troubleshooting is in order.

Yes I had someone install the pump first, then the plumbing to the pressure tank/switch, then the electric.

I tried to fill up the pressure tank with an electric air pump through the nozzle on top. The pressure in the tank stayed at 20 psi as well.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I tried to fill up the pressure tank with an electric air pump through the nozzle on top. The pressure in the tank stayed at 20 psi as well.
Where are you reading the tank pressure, at the schrader valve? What happens to the water pressure gauge as you add air?

Brettrice550

Reaction score
Where are you reading the tank pressure, at the schrader valve? What happens to the water pressure gauge as you add air?
Reading tank pressure through the electric air pump. I haven't tried adding air while the pump is on.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. hole in pipe is probable. How about a photo of the well head? That is your next troubleshooting point, I think.

Brettrice550

Reaction score
OK. hole in pipe is probable. How about a photo of the well head? That is your next troubleshooting point, I think.

Attachments

• 154721636045412919466.jpg
    154721636045412919466.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 163

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like there is water right there. If you watch that area while somebody turns the pump on, you may see the leak.

Tell us about the well? You should get that well casing extended above ground, maybe a foot, to prevent contamination.

For troubleshooting, I would look to break the line at the union, and connect the line from the pump to a pressure gauge. Power the pump for 2 seconds. If that pressure goes up to 60 or 120, you know the hole is not before the union.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks