System troubleshooting, sulfur is back.

Users who are viewing this thread

SNKETR

Reaction score
Here's the setup:
Private well, 16gpm, had tons of sediment, as well as hard water & sulfur (rotten egg smell)
1" Hydra filter, 50 micro polypropylene sediment > backwashing catalytic carbon tank with an ozone generator > softener

Everything has been working great since I installed it in October of 2021. Three weeks ago the rotten egg smell came back and we started seeing red rings again in our toilet bowls.

Where should I start the troubleshooting? Any recommendations and steps to take are greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you tell if the ozone generator is still working?
Could the ozone have depleted the catalytic carbon already? I don't have an expectation.

I would sanitize my well and plumbing to give the carbon filter less to deal with for a while. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing writeup. With bigger wells, you have the option of delivering chlorine and pH reduction with pellets that drop past the pump to the bottom. I don't know what you would use for pH reducing pellets. Nu-Well 100 Pelletized Acid may be suitable. Well Safe Sanitizer Kit has respected chlorine pellets for smaller wells. There is probably a higher-amount product available. Searching for CHLORINE WELL SANITIZER PELLETS turns up some bigger containers.

Last edited:

SNKETR

Reaction score
Messed with it a little more today. The ozone generator stays in standby mode (flashing green). No matter what I do it won’t go steady green (producing ozone). I reset the ozone generator and the filter. Still nothing.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I anticipate the ozone generator will only operate during the system's Draw Cycle.

In a converted AIO filter system such as you describe, Ozone will be only produced while the media is being regenerated. The Ozone is drawn in to sanitize the media as that will be where bacteria will propagate.

The ozone draw cycle will be typically 45-minutes duration, which will create a large bubble of ozone to fill the available space within the media tank including the spaces between the media granules. That bubble will be compressed to a small bubble at the top of the tank when the system is placed back into service mode.

Because Ozone will rapidly degrade back into its native oxygen state, about 10-15 minutes after the ozone stops being produced, the small remaining bubble will become mostly oxygen.

Depending on your water conditions, to reliably eliminate your H2S and bacteria problem, an alternate treatment method may be necessary. While a constant ozone generator could be utilized to inject ozone prior to an appropriately sized baffled contact tank, chlorine injection is usually the simplest and least costly method.

Always recommended for a comprehensive lab test to be performed on your raw well water so as to take into consideration all water conditions. Although H2S maybe a problem for 2 different wells, the treatment methods that are recommended maybe vastly different once the lab report for each well is reviewed.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Here's the setup:
Private well, 16gpm, had tons of sediment, as well as hard water & sulfur (rotten egg smell)
1" Hydra filter, 50 micro polypropylene sediment > backwashing catalytic carbon tank with an ozone generator > softener

Everything has been working great since I installed it in October of 2021. Three weeks ago the rotten egg smell came back and we started seeing red rings again in our toilet bowls.

Where should I start the troubleshooting? Any recommendations and steps to take are greatly appreciated.
With Well water I really suggest ditching the filters and get a Katalox Tank. Katalox inherently filters to about 3 microns. Since it usually is backwashed nightly, you get a much higher flow. In fact my well used to have a ton of silt in my 50 micron spin down filter.. But ever since adding the Katalox filter the silt is non existent. I feel that the increased force in the flow on backwash has "sucked" most of the sediment from the well head area.

I got the Katalox to treat H2S. It did treat the majority of the smell but I still added a Catalytic Carbon tank to scrub the rest of the smell.. Working great for over 2 years now..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks