System Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Allen Hinkle

Reaction score
I'm new here and actually only signed up to ask a question. If I've posted in the wrong area or this has been answered, my apologies.

I have a rain soft gold series water softener system. The system is maybe 14-15 years old. I replaced the media in both the resin and the carbon tanks myself in may of 2013. I have had to rebuild the piston valve maybe three times now. I've replaced the plastic yoke valves (leaking) once, I do this work myself, because I am not adverse to paying to have the work done, just the charges that the rain soft dealer wants to charge combined with what I see as not being very knowledgeable, I don't see the value. A knowledgeable person in my area at reasonable rates and they can have all the work!

Now for my problem. It appears that my system is leaking. It is the smaller tank (resin) and as best I can tell it is from where the head screws into the bottle This just started occurring. There has been no trauma to the unit and it is in a garage, where, although not climate controlled, does not encounter freezing conditions. I'm finding it highly hard to believe that the thick plastic bottle would suddenly crack, but figured I'd ask. Do the tanks themselves decay over time and need replacing?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's pretty old; the O-ring could have lost its elasticity. Worth replacing it for a buck or two. Lubricate the new one with a food-grade silicone o-ring lubricant - use the search function on this site for suggestions - and when tightening down the valve, hand tight should be sufficient.

Allen Hinkle

Reaction score
That's pretty old; the O-ring could have lost its elasticity. Worth replacing it for a buck or two. Lubricate the new one with a food-grade silicone o-ring lubricant - use the search function on this site for suggestions - and when tightening down the valve, hand tight should be sufficient.

Thanks. As wild as it seems, I do not think I have an o-ring in there. Unless it's a recessed one. I have ordered one. I have included a pic of what may be the o-ring - or it may be just a rubber insert of some type.

Attachments

• IMG_6246.JPG
    IMG_6246.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 238

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's the O-ring. Just lift it out of the groove, clean everything (tank seat and valve) up, lube the new O-ring, lay it in the groove, and screw the valve back on to the tank. It doesn't have to be anywhere near as tight as most people want to make it. One of the pros here may give you a "how tight" rule of thumb; I've heard things like "contact + 1/4 turn".

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Carefully inspect the neck of the tank where that o-ring seats. Look for tiny fractures, cracks, or any imperfections. It is not uncommon for tanks to eventually crack at the neck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks