Swivel faucet leaking after reinstall......

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Just changed my kitchen sink and reinstalled my American Standard kitchen facuet (yes, a Home Depot only version). Now its leaking at the swivel. It never did before, Im wondering if I just got lucky.

Ive installed per the instructions........hand tighten the locknut and then tighten the 3 screws against the washer. Still getting a leak from the swivel.

Any ideas? I have a new part on order, was just wondering if there was something I was missing that wouldnt require parts.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
I wouldn't install one new nevermind reinstall it!

Hehe, I take it that means I got lucky the first time it didnt leak :)

A new faucet is probably not in the budget (this one is in fine shape, except for the leak that Ive created).

Any advice to get this one to NOT leak?

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Model # 6310.

Ive ordered a replacement "internal body and seal", as the seal portion seems to be what keeps the swivel from leaking.

-Chris

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
I have the handle off and the cartridge out but I cant seem to remove the manifold (the plastic cap retainer is in the way).

The parts diagram shows an o-ring around the cartridge but I didnt see it.......I dont know if it shifted down to the manifold or what, but Im guessing thats part of my leak problem.

How can I get the manifold out ?

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
yes, I have a link

It was user error, I didnt realize I could pry the cap retainer out. I prefer not to pry ANYTHING but in this case it worked.

I dont see anything really out of the ordinary except one of the duckbill "squirters" that are in the manifold is slightly torn and doesnt shut completely. Im thinking water might be filling the manifold and leaking downward instead of goign thru the cart. into the spout.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The pull-out sray/spout were famous for vacuum breaker leaks. If this model has its vacuum breaker mounted on the brass body, you may not of even seen it. It would be mounted on the back of the brass body or the side.. The newer model spout/spray combinations will have the vacuum breakers mounted on the hoses.

The vacuum breaker may be the cause of the leak. If so, it will need replacement or cleaning.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I just had a look at the spec sheet for this model and the vacuum breaker/check valve is on the hose.. If leak is not coming from check valve, then the next step is replacing cartridge.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

I actually cant get the main body off of the faucet, no idea why. I was hoping after having the manifold out it would become easier/clearer but no go.

Since we needed the faucet again I reassembled it after cleaning the manifold (some gunk and actual rock-looking pieces in there). After reassembly and use, knock on wood, it doesnt seem to be leaking.

I think Ive learned my lesson in regards to big-box-store-only stuff. I might be purchasing a new faucet shortly from a supply house, considering HD no longer carries *any* American Standard faucet parts (even for this "HD Only" model).

-Chris

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would consider other brands...
Moen and Delta would be a few that come to mind...

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
I would consider other brands...
Moen and Delta would be a few that come to mind...

Can I just go on their website, pick a model and then go talk to a supply shop?

Ive always wondered if the models on their website would match what a supply shop has, or if they are different numbers, model names, etc.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What you see and what is stocked will vary.
You could always order what you want...

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure anything I choose on their website isnt a "box store only" model, cheap parts, etc.

Are there any online sources for supplier-quality stuff?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks