Switchover from Heat to A/C question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
My Amana furnace (AMH95) was installed January 2007.
Had a new Amana A/C Compressor and coil (Amana ASX14; 2 ton) installed last year.

Other than having a pro come out for annual service......
Is there anything I need to do in order to switch from heat to A/C?
Or can I just move the switch on the thermostat to cool and fire up the A/C?

Oh, and yeah.....I will change the filter before I fire up the A/C.

thanks.
mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends...I have a by-pass humidifier in my system, and to switch over I (should) close the bypass duct damper.

On some systems, you might get better operation if you switch the fan speed, but that isn't as common.

You should change the filter more often than change of seasons! but other than that, flipping the switch may be adequate.

Some houses are installed with multiple exhaust registers...it works better to exhaust cooled air high and heated air low. If you have multiple ducts, both high and low, close the lower ones and open the higher ones.

My house is an open design and I find in the winter I direct much of the heat downstairs and it gets upstairs. In the summer, I direct most of the cooling upstairs, and it gets downstairs. Having good return ducts may change your operating parameters.

MaintenanceMan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Change the filter and turn it on. If your going to have it serviced then the Tech will take care of any other cleaning it might need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks