Switching out the shower head, need DIY advice

Users who are viewing this thread

AcuraKidd

Reaction score
I just moved into a new apt and want to install a 2 in 1 shower system.

The current setup is what you can see in the pics. Basically there is no shower arm installed. I purchased one from hHom Depot, but upon taking out the existing shower drop, I can't put in the arm because the pipe is the same diameter.

If someone can please point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. IMG_20181124_130532.jpg IMG_20181124_130526.jpg IMG_20181111_003848.jpg IMG_20181124_130612.jpg IMG_20181124_130602.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The part sticking out of the wall is what is called a nipple. The shower arm has the same thread on it and is designed to screw into the same place the other end of that nipple is now in. So, you have a couple of choices. You could leave that nipple in there and buy a brass coupler - a fitting that has two sockets. Thread that onto the existing nipple, then thread the shower arm into the other end. Or, you could remove the existing nipple and then screw the shower arm in instead.

Since it appears that there's only threads sticking out, you'll need an inside pipe wrench to unscrew the existing nipple. Most places like Home Depot, Lowes, and any decent hardware store will have one.
You'll also need either some pipe dope to put on the threads to make a good seal, or some PTFE tape.

Last edited by a moderator:

AcuraKidd

Reaction score
Wow perfect!
Thank you so much. It all makes perfect sense. I just placed an order online. I'll update everyone this weekend with my success

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks