Switch and receptacle plates

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I've replaced many receptacles and switches over the years. Just had an addition built and what's left to do is adding covers to all the duplex receptacles. What I see is that there's no screw holes north and south of many of the receptacles to attach the plates to. Doesn't look like they were clipped off as the little wings top and bottom sometimes are....they're just were never part of the receptacles. So how to I attach the plates except to change all the receptacles or screw the plates into the drywall? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
The screw hole for duplex receptacles is neither north nor south, but at the equator.

Reaction score
You're correct for round duplex receptacles but not for square. What I realize I need to get are screw less covers which I just found. A thin frame goes around and under the receptacle screws and the plastic plate snaps to it...just more MONEY! Thank you.

Steve7878

Reaction score
Sounds more like defective outlets or seconds from the factory. You should not have to use screw less covers.

Reaction score
Hey, discovered the problem. The master electrician has a journeyman and an apprentice. The apprentice bent off the ear AND the small stub with the hole for a plate. His mistake, but fortunately only on two of the many covers I need. So it's not a matter of a company selling strange receptacle OR seconds from the factory. Human error....what a shock! At least glad I know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks