Switch and receptacle plates

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Ken Tannenbaum1, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Ken Tannenbaum1

Ken Tannenbaum1 Member

I've replaced many receptacles and switches over the years. Just had an addition built and what's left to do is adding covers to all the duplex receptacles. What I see is that there's no screw holes north and south of many of the receptacles to attach the plates to. Doesn't look like they were clipped off as the little wings top and bottom sometimes are....they're just were never part of the receptacles. So how to I attach the plates except to change all the receptacles or screw the plates into the drywall? Thanks.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The screw hole for duplex receptacles is neither north nor south, but at the equator.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Ken Tannenbaum1

Ken Tannenbaum1 Member

You're correct for round duplex receptacles but not for square. What I realize I need to get are screw less covers which I just found. A thin frame goes around and under the receptacle screws and the plastic plate snaps to it...just more MONEY! Thank you.

5. Stuff

Stuff Active Member

What brand were these? I need to watch out for and avoid.

6. Steve7878

Steve7878 New Member

Sounds more like defective outlets or seconds from the factory. You should not have to use screw less covers.

7. Ken Tannenbaum1

Ken Tannenbaum1 Member

Hey, discovered the problem. The master electrician has a journeyman and an apprentice. The apprentice bent off the ear AND the small stub with the hole for a plate. His mistake, but fortunately only on two of the many covers I need. So it's not a matter of a company selling strange receptacle OR seconds from the factory. Human error....what a shock! At least glad I know.

8. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Nice of you to pay the apprentice to learn! SMH