Swimming pool main drain

Users who are viewing this thread

dorlando

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure if swimming pool questions are answered but here we go. I have a pool with 2 main drains and then there is pipe that basically goes out to my yard from the drains. I think this is designed to prevent objects or people from getting trapped at the main drain. That pipe in the yard is getting damaged by a tree. Is it a problem for me to cut that pipe and redirect it? It is hard to explain in writing but I think now the pipe comes our perpendicular to the pool or drains and into the yard and then up out of the ground. I would need to cut it where it comes out from the pool into the yard and move it to the left or right around 5 or 1o feet and then bring it up out of the ground.

Thanks

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would think the two main drains are part of the recirculating system and go back to the pump. Some pools have a gravity flow drain in the bottom of the pool that is for draining the pool. Then somewhere there is a backwash drain. The backwash drain is pumped water, so you could move that where ever you needed. My guess is you are talking about the gravity flow drain, that drains all the water out of the pool if needed. Changing the direction of flow would not matter but it has to flow down hill. You might be able to better explain what you are talking about with some pictures.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure if swimming pool questions are answered but here we go. I have a pool with 2 main drains and then there is pipe that basically goes out to my yard from the drains. I think this is designed to prevent objects or people from getting trapped at the main drain. That pipe in the yard is getting damaged by a tree. Is it a problem for me to cut that pipe and redirect it? It is hard to explain in writing but I think now the pipe comes our perpendicular to the pool or drains and into the yard and then up out of the ground. I would need to cut it where it comes out from the pool into the yard and move it to the left or right around 5 or 1o feet and then bring it up out of the ground.

Thanks
If you are talking about the pipe that comes out of the ground a few feet away from the pool on the deep end - that piping is a "suction-break" to prevent an object (i.e. a person) from being trapped by suction against the main drain. The pipe comes off the main drain and runs up the side to above ground level. This is code required where the main drain does not connect to the skimmer drain. There should be a 180 degree bend at the top with a screen to prevent bugs/animals from getting inside it.
You can relocate it somewhat, but there is water in that pipe (to the level that the water in the pool is at). So you may need to drain water out the pool.

If you're talking about something else (like an overflow drain) then I missed your point.

Pool main-drain vent.png

This is a picture (taken of my spa) that shows the vent I'm talking about that comes off the spa drain. The pool also has this vent (the green pipe with the 180 degree bend).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Are you talking about the two return drains in the bottom of the pool a few feet apart? Yes, there are two so someone does not get "stuck" in all sorts of scary ways. A minor re-route of the pipe between the bottom drains and the pump should not make a noticeable difference. Try not to add too may fittings...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY "gravity pool drain" would have to be BELOW the water level in the pool to drain water, but would also need a valve to keep the water in the pool until it needed to drain.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
It sounds like the OP is asking about the bottom (as opposed to the skimmer) return pipe to the circulating pump which is "out in the yard".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks