Sweat or thread on Sillcock

Users who are viewing this thread

AspiringDIYR

Reaction score
This hose bibb leaks inside the wall when turned on. No leak when we don’t use it. The interior wall is wood paneled and would be a pain to dismantle. The exterior as you can see is brick. Is there anyway to know if this is a sillcock I can simply thread off and replace or will I have to open the wall? Thanks in advance.

2234CBCF-92F6-4D90-9E94-E4D6D213E86A.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
YOu need to replace the faucet. It is possible there is a threaded connection inside. I am not a pro. I might just start turning and hope, especially if a lot of my pipes are galvanized. If you have copper pipes, it is possible there is a sturdy threaded connection, but less likely.
copper-nibco-copper-fittings-cp707-3-5-lf-64_100.jpg

Your symptom would be compatible with freeze damage. https://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/HowAFaucet/How a Standard Frost-Proof Faucet Works.pdf illustrates how that can happen if there is a reverse pitch, or if you leave the hose connected, and that prevents draining.

This is the time of year that people in colder areas make sure no hose is connected.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the brick your hosebib will be much longer than the one in this picture. They come in 2" increments.
You will need access to the end which means going into the wall. I like to pick up a 7"x7" pop-in panel for the wall cover when done. If if froze one time, it could happen again, might as well make it accessible for the next repair.
What you have might be soldered or threaded, either way, it's worked on from the end that connects to the water line.

hosebib_split.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's almost certainly threaded. Turn the water off and twist it. If you get it great, if not then your not really out anything as opening the wall is the norm.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never twist them off from the outside. You have no way of knowing what damage you're doing to the pipe inside.

copper-gets-looser.jpg

fluidmaster-panel-2.jpg
We had one like that on display in our school. It was from changing out a urinal stop.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I actually did try unthreading from the outside once. The copper was like the picture above, but that was before cell phones that took pictures.
You got to try things at least once, right? Maybe not, learn from my mistake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks