Sweat a valve in a double stud wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ajmicek

Reaction score
Howdy all... I gotta replace one of those terrible saddle valves behind my fridge before the inevitable calamity happens.

What would a plumber prefer? Compression?
e33-2211-2.jpg

Or sweat?
E13-2211.jpg

FWIW, the saddle valve to be replaced is in a double stud wall with ~7" of depth...

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Howdy all... I gotta replace one of those terrible saddle valves behind my fridge before the inevitable calamity happens.

What would a plumber prefer? Compression?
View attachment 74027

Or sweat?
View attachment 74028

FWIW, the saddle valve to be replaced is in a double stud wall with ~7" of depth...

Install an icemaker box. If you don't have room to install the box, just remove the box and drill down OUTSIDE of the wall and let the little valve live hidden behind your refrigerator. That way you don't have to fight with the double stud at all.

oatey-ice-maker-box-39130.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are freaked about saddles, you may not like SharkBite either. https://www.sharkbite.com/products/ice-maker-connection-kit

In order to insert a compression valve or a sweat valve, you would need tot be able to spread the cut pipe apart-- unless you use a repair coupling too. The Sharkbite does not need that for copper, but you do have to offset it a bit temporarily.

Ajmicek

Reaction score
Ok, thanks folks -- you've helped me rethink this! I'll tee the 1/2" copper in the wall, sweat on a ProPEX (F1960) fitting, and run 1/2" PEX-A to an icemaker style outlet box. It's more work, but I'd much rather do it right!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks