Swapping motors with pump heads

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have a few 1/2 hp 13 stage older - new Graingers submersible pumps. Probably Myers built, cast heads. The chart says 300' of head max with 20 psi output, about 2.3 GPM , by recollection. Having a few 1 and 1.5 HP Franklin motors laying about, what might I expect swapping them for the 1/2 hp motor?

The booklet from Graingers shows a 14 stage 1 hp maxing out around 375' . I am filling a water tank high up the hill, so I am not pressurizing anything. Do you full time pump masters stock pump heads and then add a motor to suit the site conditions?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can always add a larger HP motor to a smaller HP pump, never the other way around. But you will only get what the pump is rated for, the larger motor won't make it produce more water.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can always add a larger HP motor to a smaller HP pump, never the other way around. But you will only get what the pump is rated for, the larger motor won't make it produce more water.

So if I take a 13 stage pump with a factory mounted 1/2 hp motor, that makes 300' and about 2 psi, and add a 1.5 hp motor to it, I will still get the same ratings? Seems awfully counterintuitive, no? The same amount of water at 3x the amp draw? Are the impellers in a 13 stage 1/2 hp pump constructed differently from those in the factory built 1 hp, 13 stage rig?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your motor is going to go a little short of 3600 RPM because of the way that 2-pole motors work on 60Hz. Even a motor with no load at all will run a little short of 3600 RPM./

I don't know about the impellers in the 13 stage pumps, but I would think they will be different. I would expect the pump designed for lower GPM would have shallower bite, and the higher GPM impellers would have a steeper byte. A little analogous to a fine pitch and course pitch screw thread.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is still a 1/2HP pump, still spinning at 3450 RPM, so it will still only pump 1/2HP water. It will not be pulling 3 times the amperage however. The larger motor will only cause an extra amp or two over the normal 1/2HP amperage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks