Swapping bathroom sink and washer hookups

Users who are viewing this thread

Miranda3

Reaction score
Hey all!

First time home-owner and first time post here.
The layout in my half bath is pretty bizarre and not very functional. It seems it was intended as just a laundry/mudroom but whoever flipped the house added a half bath into the mudroom, I assume to add value to the house.

I will add some photos, but basically the washer hook ups and drain pipe are on the east wall, the bathroom sink is on the south wall (sink facing north), the dryer hookup is also on the south wall, followed by the toilet on the west wall (facing east when you sit down). The first problem I had was that I couldn't find a dryer to fit between the bathroom sink and toilet, you'd have to sit on the toilet sideways to be able to fit! So I opted to get an all in one washer dryer to avoid this. (I know these unit don't work for everyone, but I live alone, and don't have mountains of laundry to do, so I don't mind the longer drying time.) A stackable dryer also wouldn't fit due to the height of the ceiling, as well as the dryer vent being across the room from the washer hookups.

So my idea for a solution is to switch the spot of the sink and the washer. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't do this? Using the existing plumbing, but just getting adapters so the sizes of the hoses fit right? Or do I need to change the plumbing entirely?
I cannot leave the washer where it is, because it blocks access to the sink. Really not sure who came up with this wild layout!

Thanks for reading!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer needs a 2" drain and standpipe.
The lav (sink) may have had a 1.5" or a 1.25" drain. A bit undersized for a washer.
What size is there for the sink in the wall?

Miranda3

Reaction score
Hey all!

First time home-owner and first time post here.
The layout in my half bath is pretty bizarre and not very functional. It seems it was intended as just a laundry/mudroom but whoever flipped the house added a half bath into the mudroom, I assume to add value to the house.

I will add some photos, but basically the washer hook ups and drain pipe are on the east wall, the bathroom sink is on the south wall (sink facing north), the dryer hookup is also on the south wall, followed by the toilet on the west wall (facing east when you sit down). The first problem I had was that I couldn't find a dryer to fit between the bathroom sink and toilet, you'd have to sit on the toilet sideways to be able to fit! So I opted to get an all in one washer dryer to avoid this. (I know these unit don't work for everyone, but I live alone, and don't have mountains of laundry to do, so I don't mind the longer drying time.) A stackable dryer also wouldn't fit due to the height of the ceiling, as well as the dryer vent being across the room from the washer hookups.

So my idea for a solution is to switch the spot of the sink and the washer. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't do this? Using the existing plumbing, but just getting adapters so the sizes of the hoses fit right? Or do I need to change the plumbing entirely?
I cannot leave the washer where it is, because it blocks access to the sink. Really not sure who came up with this wild layout!

Thanks for reading!

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 2.28.41 PM.jpg

Miranda3

Reaction score
The washer needs a 2" drain and standpipe.
The lav (sink) may have had a 1.5" or a 1.25" drain. A bit undersized for a washer.
What size is there for the sink in the wall?
Hey Terry,

Thanks for your response.
It appears that where the sink was attached was a 1.5", but where it meets the wall is 2".

IMG_0833.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks