Swapping Bathroom and Laundry Room: Part #1

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr.T

Reaction score
First, I want to say that this is a fantastic forum. The time that the pros take to answer everyone's questions (and likely answer the same questions over and over :) ) is certainly appreciated by many.

Background:
I'm in the middle of a complete, down-to-the-studs remodel on a house. I had to have all of the original under-slab cast iron drain lines replaced (we ran a camera and saw a groove in the lines and a belly in one area). Unfortunately, after having all the new PVC drain lines installed, there has been a decision to swap the location between a bathroom and the laundry room. :/

Plan:
Put the laundry tub on the left (where the existing shower drain rough-in stub is. I would extend the drain up to and in to the wall) and then the washing machine to the right of it (where the rough-in is for what would have been the bathroom sink)

Questions:
1) Is there anyway to use the existing Shower rough-in as my laundry tub drain line?
To do this I would still have to tie in to the existing vent, correct? I don't believe I can wet vent this fixture due to the configuration.

or, should I just:

1) Seal and abandon the old shower rough-in line (any repercussions with this?)
2) Cut in to the existing vertical pipe and plumb in my laundry tub drain and basically follow the classic configuration that is regularly shown here on this site (pic attached)?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Inked20201027_223441_LI.jpg InkedIMG_5640_LI.jpg washer_rough_b.jpg

~Nick

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you make a rough floorplan sketch as to where standpipe, shower/tub, toilet, and lavatory will end up. By rough, I mean don't worry about dimensions. You can use pencil and paper. You can use Paint program.

Add the line to septic. Add stuff passing thru that must stay. Add existing real vent locations. Is there a floor above this one?

Maybe put existing drain pipes in light gray or light pencil.

You are under IPC, which will ease some things.

If you wet vent bath stuff, standpipe drainage cannot join the bathroom drainage until after the wet-vented stuff.

Mr.T

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Reach4! In my effort to explain/simplify things I probably made them more confusing. The existing rough in was laid out for a bathroom. The goal is to now convert it to a laundry. So I'm trying to determine what the most painless way possible (that is still 100% code correct and safe) is. So what you see in this picture is what I currently have. All 2" pipe. The vent goes straight up through the roof. No additional fixtures tie in to it.

- The rough stub in that hole in the concrete would have originally been used for a shower.

- The other rough stub would have fed the lavatory sink.

- The drain underground goes straight out to the septic

Simply put:
- Can I use the original planned shower drain as my laundry tub drain (once it is extended and put in to the wall) and would it require an AAV?
- ...or am I better off abandoning/capping that drain line and plumbing the new laundry tub drain in to the other drain line in the wall with a sanitary tee so that I am vented (assume with an aux vent set up)?

If I am still being confusing I will gladly draw up something more detailed. Thank you again.

InkedIMG_5640_LIV.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If I am still being confusing I will gladly draw up something more detailed. Thank you again.
You only propose a standpipe and a lavatory, based on your pink lines.

A standpipe in the middle of the floor would be unusual. Maybe you plan to extend the shower pipe to the wall. You would need to add a vent for the standpipe, wherever it is. A shower could have been wet vented by the lav. Not so for the standpipe. So the shower pipe could accept the drainage from the standpipe.

To get a vent, tee off the roof vent pipe at least 6 inches higher than the top of the standpipe.

Mr.T

Reaction score
Sorry. I still did a poor job explaining it. LOL. I'll try one more time and if this doesn't work I'll draw up something detailed

1) I f I were to use it for the laundry tub, I planned to extend the shower line up the wall. If I do this can I use it without tying it in to the existing vent?

2) The line that was going to be used for the bathroom lavatory sink would now become a stand pipe and a trap added for the washing machine.

Ultimately I suspect I will have to vent the tub, so I might as well cap the old shower drain and just tie in to the existing drain/pipe based on what you suggested above.

Reach4

Reaction score
1) I f I were to use it for the laundry tub, I planned to extend the shower line up the wall. If I do this can I use it without tying it in to the existing vent?
You need a vent, but that can be an AAV. You have a vent pipe handy, and the wall is open. Were you thinking of having the output of the sink to go to the wall, or almost to the wall?

Take a look at the Rectorseal 97402 Magic Trap with the Rectorseal 97400 AAV.

https://rectorseal.com/product/magic-trap/

Mr.T

Reaction score
Reach4,
Thank you for your patience and fast replies. You confirmed that I need a vent. I do plan for the laundry tub output to go in the wall, so in this case I might as well just cap the shower line in the floor (or perhaps just turn it in to a floor drain) and then add the laundry tub drain to the other drain and vent that is currently in the wall. Therefore I plan to follow this basic set up:

washer_rough_b.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks