Suspecting a faulty check valve. Help please.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Waterboy Juan, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Waterboy Juan

Waterboy Juan New Member

I've just noticed that my pressure tank is cycling on and off every 3 minutes. I can hear it clicking. My pressure gauge is stuck at 48psi, likely due to sediment, and I'll fix that in a couple days. I closed the line immediately after the tank to ensure no house leaks or consumption, and the 3 minute cycles continue.
    I put a pressure gauge on the valve at the top of me Well-Xtrol 42 gallon, 40/60 tank and watched it throughout the cycles. It cut on when the bladder pressure was 38, psi as expected, and cut off 45 seconds later at 58 psi. During the next 2+ minutes, the pressure drops, then the cycle repeats.
    I have a Red Jacket submersible that's probably 10 years old.
    I'm a well newbie but suspect a faulty check valve from what I've read. What do y'all think?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Check valve, or hole in a pipe, or leak at the pitless. You could lift the well cap, and look with a bright flashlight and/or listen. It's not as if you should try to fix it yourself, however.

If you have a well seal rather than a pitless, don't try lifting that. Just call your well person.

He will suggest a new pump. Up to you. I had a 12 year old Sta-rite pump put back down June 2014 when I got my pit demolished and pitless installed. It's still working. Maybe I lucked out. Maybe it will fail tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Waterboy Juan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Waterboy Juan likes this.
  4. Waterboy Juan

Waterboy Juan New Member

Reach4, your comments are much appreciated! I've temporarily (?) fixed the problem by inserting a new check valve a couple feet before the pressure switch at the tank.

I began by removing the well head and looking/listening into the well. First time I've ever looked in a well. I could see the water level, and when the pump would start, the top of the water would generate small waves. Once the pump stopped, the water would calm and it would be quiet.

I then went to the pressure tank. I emptied the tank, checked the bladder pressure (found it to be 25#, or 13# under expected 38 PSI, so filled it up to 38 PSI), replaced the pressure gauge, and also replaced the pressure switch. The problem still remained, as I kind of expected.

So, finally installed a 3/4" check valve into the line directly before the tank. (See photo.) So far so good. Hopefully no other issues will crop up.

Attached Files:

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    You will probably start hearing a water hammer thump when the pump starts. Fixing the check valve on the pump is the only way to fix that.

Reach4 likes this.
  6. Waterboy Juan

Waterboy Juan New Member

Cary, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll keep an eye on that and will post a couple months down the road. Thank you.