Surface Rust / Cracking at Kitchen Sink hole - Should I repair it or ignore it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter Harris

Reaction score
I have an older Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that has some cracked enamel and some rust showing at the faucet hole. The old faucet, a Moen, got very hard to swing side to side, so I contacted them and they sent me a new one for free (YEAH MOEN).

Upon removing the old faucet (lots of rust under the sink) i found the top surface, under the old faucet, had some rust staining and it appears the enamel surface is cracked.

I suppose I could replace the whole sink, but, I'd rather not spend the $300 or so for the sink and the hassle of redoing all the plumbing.

So, I have a couple of questions:
1. should I repair the cracks?
1a. If I should repair it, do I grind down the enamel first?
1b. What type of enamel repair coating should I use? Enamel Paint? Epoxy? Something else?

2. should I just coat the surface over the rust
Kitchen sink rust and cracked enamel.jpg
with paint or epoxy or??

3. should i just install the new faucet over the existing hole and hope it lasts another 5 years or so?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are guys out there who re-glaze cast iron sinks and tubs, a job that is not cheap with mix results. Most re-glazing job last less than 5 years. If you rather DIY, you can get a re-glazing repair kit.

Get an estimate (if you are lucky to find a re-glazer) and do the math.

However, from the pic, the situation is not severe. I think you could get 5 years, keeping in mind that the rust is only going to get worse.

I would replace the sink. There are sink options out there, cheaper than CI and just as good.

Reach4

Reaction score
The rust is going to be covered by the faucet trim, right? POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating can be brushed onto rust like that for future protection. It is available in a 4-ounce can.

Super Iron Out may be useful for removing a stain in an area that has surface rust in the enamel in an area that will show.

Peter Harris

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I decided to do nothing and wait for problems down the line. The replacement Moen faucet went in without a hitch (can't say the same for the shutoff valves I replaced...)

I might've tried the POR 15, but, my sink isn't Mopar orange or Chevy engine red ;) - and that stuff is seriously expensive (and, yes, I saw it came it clear too).

Reach4

Reaction score
I might've tried the POR 15, but, my sink isn't Mopar orange or Chevy engine red ;) - and that stuff is seriously expensive (and, yes, I saw it came it clear too).
My suggestion was only if the existing rust would be covered by the faucet trim. I was thinking black, in a 4-ounce can.

I was unaware of the POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating in clear. Thanks.

I have used slow epoxy into dried rust hoping that would soak in. I wonder if working wax or grease into the hidden rust would be a good idea to limit future rust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks