Surface mounted armored cable, or EMT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hello,

Finishing my basement and relocating the washer and electric dryer against an unfinished exterior basement wall (don't worry, it's sufficiently below grade to be safe from freezing). Electrical to both washer and electric dryer are routed through ceiling joists to this location, and then I plan to drop down from the ceiling, along the facade of this exterior wall, to outlets for each of these appliances. I'm using Armored Cable for all electrical (i.e. "MC Lite"). I am not using NM cable.

What does the NEC say about running AC, exposed, (i.e. mounted on the surface) along a wall?
Should I transition to EMT? If I need to transition, I've read that the transition fitting needs to be accessible. Is this true?
If I need to transition, I've seen transitions done in a 90deg bend fitting, but is this the only type of transition fitting available?
All advice and guidance greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Theodore

Reaction score
I don't know! I THINK that the MC can be mounted exposed on an unfinished foundation wall. It certainly can be left exposed in uncovered stud walls. You only need one dedicated 20 amp circuit for this application.

When in doubt ask the inspector who is going to OK the job, you can never go wrong that way.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If my home is any indication (it did pass an inspection), exposed cable, even that that is unarmored or in EMT, does not need to be covered as long as it is properly supported. You do need to protect it if it is in an area where it is likely to be damaged. The supply to my WM/drier is just stapled to a piece of wood, anchored to the cement wall. Since it is sitting behind the WM/drier, it is not subject to being damaged once things are installed.

As said, though, you local inspector is your best source of an answer.

Stuff

Reaction score
Just to be clear if you are looking at codes MC (Metal Clad) is not the same thing as Armored Cable. AC uses the sheath as a ground and has paper surrounding the conductors. Normal MC has a green grounding conductor and plastic tape surrounding the conductors. MC Lite® is a brand name that uses thin aluminum.

Almost everything is allowed to be run exposed so NM, MC or AC makes no difference. Subject to physical damage is for your inspector to determine. EMT is usually the solution but if he/she is a real jerk they can say that EMT is not good enough as it is not for protection from "severe" physical damage.

There are EMT to MC fittings like http://www.bptfittings.com/Home/ProductDetail?id=00781747944580 and http://www.bptfittings.com/Home/ProductDetail?id=00781747944562 - They don't need to be accessible but I have heard that some inspectors disagree.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks