Surface irrigation pipe & midwest winter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Whereismyhat

Reaction score
I have a question regarding running a lateral line. I was thinking of running a 1" PVC mainline from my rainbarrels which are about 150 feet from my garden/greenhouse. Everything is on a slight slope, with the garden/greenhouse sitting on the lower part of a slope. Can I run PVC (schedule 40) on the surface without having to worry about leaking after the first winter?

I was thought maybe if I opened the lowest part of the PVC pipe and remove say remove the first 5-10 ft. section of the pipe connecting the rainbarrels and the rest of the line prior to winter, I might be in the clear?

I just wondering if the winters (near Chicago), would be cold enough to put cracks in PVC joints [or the pipe sections] even with everything drained out and left out on the surface? It's not perpetually going to hold water. Nor would there be anything impacting/touching and no one would be walking anywhere near the PVC pipe during the winter.

Attachments

• doodle.png
    doodle.png
    49 KB · Views: 185
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks