Suppose this old well is resurrectable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I recently moved back into my childhood home that once was on well water. Sometime in the last 10-12 maybe even 15 years, my dad switched over to a community water system. Looking at things, it looks like the water line comes off the meter, comes above ground & ties into the original water line that runs to the house (it once came off the well) Anyway, what I would love to do, is resurrect this well and simply put a spigot above aground to hook a water hose up to...Here are some pics of what I am left with. I know nothing about this so I need any and all help I can get!

P9290042.jpg

P9290041.jpg

P9290040.jpg

PA050040.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
First you need to get the old stuff out of the well to see what you have. Get rid of the tape. Loosen the 4 bolts on the well seal. See if you can lift pipe and wire out of the well.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
First you need to get the old stuff out of the well to see what you have. Get rid of the tape. Loosen the 4 bolts on the well seal. See if you can lift pipe and wire out of the well.

Working on that now...one of the bolt heads is trying to round off on me! I have sprayed it down with some PB Blaster and will try again later!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Your community water system broke every rule in the book leaving that well flush to the ground open to air with a rotten cap.

I especially like the way the wires enter the well!

Every lizard in louisiana is in that well, so be sure to bleach - flush it out good, raise the cap, pour a shroud and cover it all up. Do it even if you DON'T repair the pump.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I got the seal cap broke loose & free...just below the cap, the metal elbow ties into a 3/4 to 1 inch flexible tubing of some sort. I managed to pull it up about 20 ft or so before getting tired and having to let it slide back down until I can get a little more help.

I did pull up enough to where I hit slime on that tubing which made it really hard to pull up and get a grip on. I will pull it all the way out (hopefully) when a buddy shows up to help!

Bassadict69

Reaction score
HOLY COW!!!! I did not think we were ever going to get to the end of that tubing! LOL! Here it is...it is a 1/2hp pump, Franklin Electric Model # 2443050117, 230 volts

PA070040.jpg

PA070042.jpg

PA070041.jpg

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
From your photo, the well is ~100' deep?

I couldn't get a hit on that model number - maybe it's discontinued?

Last edited:

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Assuming this pump is good, what size pressure tank would I need? I will only be using this for watering the lawn.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A pressure tank and pressure switch would make the pump system come on automatically when a faucet or sprinkler zone is opened. With that size pump you would need at least a 44 gallon size tank, or a CSV and a 4.4 gallon tank. However, it will work without a tank and switch if you just flip on the breaker when you want water and turn off the breaker when not using water. Just do not want to close off all valves and forget to turn off the pump because it won't last 5 minutes that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks