Supporting copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am roughing in a toilet supply line for a toilet that I may one day install in my basement.

I am a little stuck.

My problem is how to support the copper pipe adequately.

Since I am using metal studs I must be careful. On vertical runs between studs I am adding metal headers, and running the pipe through that using grommets. On the horizontal runs through the studs I am also using grommets.

But I have no support for the pipe section coming out of the wall to the toilet, so there will be a bit of backward and forward movement on this piece. Does this matter, or will the rest of the support hold this once everything is soldered in place?

I am using a brass nipple coming out of the wall which I assume does not matter if it comes in direct contact with a metal stud.

I cannot use perforated copper strap which would normally attach copper stubs to wooden studs on the section that pops through the wall for several reasons.

First I doubt it would accomodate the nipple. And second if I attached it to the copper pipe I would have the galvainzed copper reaction I am so desperately trying to avoid.

Help.

Last edited:

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
can you attach wood to the studs like you would in a door frame and then secure the pipe to that? Maybe attach a piece of plywood in between the studs and then use a clip off off that. If you're going to use a nipple you can use a drop ear elbow. If you can't, its not a big deal.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Copper to iron is only a problem when there is water involved, (but not water inside the pipe), and even then any deterioration would be the steel not the copper. But a section of 2x4 between the studs will give you a mounting surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks