Supporting 4" PVC DWV that is 2"-4" off the floor

Users who are viewing this thread

AriaRenovationsLLC

Reaction score
Hi,

I have about a 30' length of 4" PVC DWV Schedule 40 that runs along a wall at the floor in the basement. It is currently supported by old bricks and rocks. What options are there to support it from underneath instead of hanging from above?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a rotohammer and drilling the concrete wall and installing hangers?
Or I suppose you could cut pipe sections to proper height to place under it every four feet.

Pipe gets supported every four feet.

At 1/4" per foot, a 30 long pipe should rise 7.5" over that distance.

AriaRenovationsLLC

Reaction score
How about a rotohammer and drilling the concrete wall and installing hangers?
Or I suppose you could cut pipe sections to proper height to place under it every four feet.

Pipe gets supported every four feet.

At 1/4" per foot, a 30 long pipe should rise 7.5" over that distance.

I'll have to measure the length and calculate the rise. I was being general about the length and height off the floor.

The far end from the sewer to the street is temporarily supported with a 4" pvc elbow with both open ends on the ground and the center of the elbow under the pipe. That's way more than 4" and closer to 8" (a guess).

I had to change a 5' piece of old CI at the sewer. It was not draining the way they had it and full of waste when I drilled out the lead and pulled it out. The pipe was rotted out and leaking from having water sit in it.

I would gladly anchor it to the wall but it's not against the wall.

I could put a longer piece at the end opposite in the corner where the sewer goes out to push it back towards the wall. It was a bad job the previous owner had done. One cemented joint pulled out from just raising it and didnt have a purple color. I think they didnt use primer on that one.

I couldn't find any code about supporting from below. It references following manufactures installation guide. I went to a few suppliers websites and they only gave instructions on hanging from above.

Will the cut pipes under it for support pass an inspection?

BTW, I've been lurking on this site for years and really enjoy it. Thanks Terry for keeping this site up. Great help for everyone!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way I think would be unistrut. there is a support perfect for this but i cant remember the name it uses 3/8 althread on the botom and it is a clamp. on roofs we use a rubber or red wood block with 2 hole gal strap. Dont worry about the math every 4 foot make it 1 inch higher. the cut pipe might fly with inspector they should be somewhat secure. Its only a few inches off the ground if its on something secure and pipe is attached shouldnt be an issue but looks do matter a brick here and a rock there and maybe an old shoe wont look good . and wood might or might not be ok . in any case you dont need a clevis hangar and 8 foot of rod hanging it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks