Supply Boxes or Stub Out

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am redoing the plumbing in a 75 year old house. A local plumber claimed it might be wise to go PEX, since there is acidic water in the area. He did not want to do it, but was offering the advice, since I have the walls in the bathroom and kitchen to the studs. So, I decided to go that route. I am just planning things and figuring out what I need to get the job done. While searching the web I stumbled onto the Supply Boxes for the lavatory, toilet, kitchen, etc. Immediately I was like I need these, then after reading some reviews it seems like it may be hard to replace the valves if they go, or any possible leaks may not be visible since they are in the walls???

I saw some comments for 5 or 6 years ago. Any current thoughts on using these? I thought of maybe buying blank boxes and running some stubs through the box and having the connections visible in the boxes. Not as clean, but maybe clean enough. It seems like maybe the Moda boxes are serviceable (replacing valves), where the Ox Box ones may not be?

Do I need to worry about the PEX (1960) joints failing in the wall. I bought the Milwaukee tool, so I am hoping that lends itself to making good joints.

Right now I see three options:

1. Just stub out as normal.
2. Buy the cool supply box kits (either Moda or Ox Box)
3. Buy the blanks supply boxes and fashion together a stub out in them so I can see the connections.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks...Mike

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think that idea caught on. Supply boxes for ice machines refrigerators and washing machines are common as the appliances go right up to the wall and commonly have longer hoses.

Toilets and lavs we do with copper to PEX A stub outs securely fastened in the wall.

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get plastic ones. Also this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...3GHxPn4TjVf0ze4p2abjfyJHv67cyYwRoCsFYQAvD_BwE

powerpex-stubout.jpg

Or plain ones with the sweat bracket.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The one I linked isn't for PEX-A so that's the wrong link, but the PEX-A one's are great.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Standard stub outs for lavs and toilets. the way john pointed out is most popular My area of homes built from 1990s on up has its share of CPVC , PEX , and copper stubouts . I've got PEX stubouts and don't care for them . On your Icemaker I like the box on the Washing machine I don't like the box , and I'd rather have stubouts of copper with compression hose bibs but no one wants those I don't even ask unless it was some hardship or a fire rated wall might save a few bucks on it but I don't mind at all the stubouts

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks