Super Weird Toilet "Breathing" Noise On Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

peterpme

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently replaced my fill valve with a Korky Quietfill Platinum. It worked great for a couple of days.

Then, it started making this weird breathing sound and the water would fill in increments. I replaced the whole unit again and the same thing started happening a few days later.

I know there's a replacement cap assembly, but that starts to add up if I have to replace it every week.

What am I doing wrong? Here's a video for reference.

Thank you!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Looks like the internal replacement cap thing is either loose or torn. It seems like water is running around the cap and into the float chamber, raising the float momentarily until it runs out the bottom of the float chamber. There's an abnormal amount of water coming out the bottom of the float chamber. Make sure that the internal cap is positioned properly. Perhaps the hose moved it left or right when installed. There is something in the instructions about that. First step, just with the silver cap on, push that adjuster assembly (where it's connected to the nipple on the internal cap) to the left, see if it moves, and see if that doesn't solve the problem (by tightening the internal cap). Hold the valve in place when you do that, so you don't unlock it by twisting it.

I had one of these with this symptom when at the Fontainebleau in Miami last year. I changed the torn cap for them, and voila. No problem.

Could also be a leak-stopper connector hose from the wall, but I'm focused on how much water is running out the bottom of the float chamber. It should do that as the tank level drops, but after that, no. And the water is pulsing out the bottom of the float chamber. No water should be added to the float chamber by the refilling valve; it should only come from water from the tank when it reaches the shutoff level.

Slomoola

Reaction score
From what I've used and read, do not buy those Korky type "universal" kits for toilet repairs. Your case is another reason, not to but them. Get the original toilet brand parts for all your repairs.

Reach4

Reaction score
From what I've used and read, do not buy those Korky type "universal" kits for toilet repairs. Your case is another reason, not to but them. Get the original toilet brand parts for all your repairs.
For a fill valve, the Korky will usually be a better choice than the Toto OEM.

korky_max_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go out and buy a screw-on water pressure gauge, less than $20 most places. Attach it to say an outdoor hose bib if it won't freeze where you live, or inside on the washing machine supply or elsewhere with adapters. Get one with the second, tattle tale (peak reading) hand. Leave it for about 24-hours. See what your water pressure is by instantaneously and peak. If either is above 80psi, you've probably found your problem...you need a pressure reduction valve and expansion tank.
watts-pressure-regulators-dp-iwtg-64_1000.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score

I completely and emphatically disagree that one should get "original toilet brand parts" for all repairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks