Super multi head system shower and loops

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick Lithgow

Reaction score
So we're building a large shower (5x7). Facing the shower on the right is a
MOEN S3371
DNRP 3/4" ROUGH-IN EXACTTEMP
THERMOSTATIC PRESSURE BALANCING control and 4 volume controls (shower head, rain shower, body sprays, wand).

On the left is the same Moen s3371 and 2 volume controls (shower head, body sprays)

I have built the loops for the body sprays and a manifold for everything else. My question is feed. The shower is being fed from 3/4" lines (branched off from the house inbound line and the water heater before it hits our PEX manifold. The house is being fed by a 1" line from the street)

Should I simply split the hot/cold lines to each thermostatic control, or should I build a balance loop with one entry and 2 exits (one for hot, one for cold where each exit goes to a thermostatic control) to maintain pressure? Overall pressure for the house is around 70-75 psi and the vertical height from the branch offs in the basement are about 13' up.

Attached is a pic of the one side (I've since done more plumbing)

start of manifold.jpg

moen-3371-parts-2.jpg

moen-3371-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am not much help with how to plumb it, but that won't matter if you don't have enough water available. Look at the GPM requirement for the shower. If the shower requires say 18 GPM, and the feed cannot supply that much, extra loops and stuff won't help. Insert fittings in 3/4 PEX make it more like 1/2" copper. You just can't get much water through 1/2" pipe. Larger pipe will help, but you still may need more supply. I have helped with these before where we had to set up a small cistern or storage tank with a booster pump to supply enough for the shower.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at this Moen literature. About 1/3 down you will see "ExactTemp". This shows the correct piping for the accessories you want.

index.php

Rick Lithgow

Reaction score
I am not much help with how to plumb it, but that won't matter if you don't have enough water available. Look at the GPM requirement for the shower. If the shower requires say 18 GPM, and the feed cannot supply that much, extra loops and stuff won't help. Insert fittings in 3/4 PEX make it more like 1/2" copper. You just can't get much water through 1/2" pipe. Larger pipe will help, but you still may need more supply. I have helped with these before where we had to set up a small cistern or storage tank with a booster pump to supply enough for the shower.

No problem in the initial plumbing (and plenty of volume and pressure) But my thought is loops to split the other side...

121061042_202815781205857_6842831516669966654_n.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks