Sump Pump Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Black

Reaction score
I have a problem with water hammering on my sump pump lines.

I have a setup in my basement where my pump comes out of the floor, goes through the check valve (about a foot off the basement floor) then goes about three more feet up into a wye. About a foot above each side of the wye is a quarter turn ball valve. The straight part of the wye runs up an additional 5 feet, out the side of the house, down about 3 feet and into a French drain in my front yard.

The other half runs straight up 5 feet, then runs across the section of basement, probably an additional 12 feet, and out the rear of the house.

We have had a pretty wet couple of weeks (and lots of clay) and my French drain is already full. With cold weather coming I want to run it out to the discharge at the back of the house, to allow me to run a flexible line downhill into a culvert, which the previous homeowner said he did in the winter.

When I have the water flowing directly through the straight part of the wye and into the French drain system, I don't have any water hammering. When I switch it to the discharge at the back of the house, now I get a loud thump every time the pump shuts off.

I already replaced the check valve with one of the klunkless ones from the local hardware store that has an air chamber on it. This did absolutely nothing on the side that discharges to the rear, but does seem to be a little more quiet when I have the French drain on.

I have already gone through and double checked the pipe is securely fastened and is not shaking at all when the pump turns off.

My question is, do I try a different check valve? Do I need to install another check valve on the portion above the wye? Do I need to make an air chamber? How do I get the noise to stop?!?

Attachments

• 20151117_212219.jpg
    20151117_212219.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 426
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks