Sump pump wash machine / gasses venting.

Users who are viewing this thread

ncsu

Reaction score
All - first post on this forum..

I would like to relocate my washing machine to another corner of my basement. It currently drains directly into a sink which drains directly to the sump pump (drain under concrete). I'm not planning on having a sink at the new location, was curious if I can drain the washing machine via a standpipe/trap configuration that then discharges into the sump (above the concrete)? Any code violations with this approach? I would have to vent the drain line to the roof.

Are there any advantages to pumping the washing machine via a proper setup directly to the sewer, rather that letting it drain to the sump?

Third question... I get the gas odor in the house. To properly vent the gasses, should I just get a cover/grommet and have a 2" PVC vent run to the roof as well?

ncsu

Reaction score
sorry, should have said sewage pump...I actually have two pumps, one for ground and one for sewage that comes from the current sink and washing machine. I was referring to the sewage pump. thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
This would vary depending on local regulations. Your local building inspector would be the person to ask. In most locales you will need to pull a permit since you are modifying the system, so the building inspector will be involved anyway.

Other that that, as long as the standpipe is plumbed to code there shouldn't be an issue.

Normally the only reason a home would have a sewage basin/pump is because the main line to the street is above the fixture. If your washer is above the main line, then I don't know why anyone would hook it to a separate basin.

One thing you said does not sound right. All sewage basins that I am aware of must be vented. This will require a properly sized vent up through the roof. If the design of the home allows for it, the vent could be tied to the existing stack, but the connection would have to be made above the flood rim of all of the existing fixtures on the stack. More often that not it will be easier to run a separate vent.

Last edited:

ncsu

Reaction score
Thanks. My setup is funny. My basement floor drain and washing machine discharge (via a sink) are routed to the sewage sump. It then pumps up to the mainline about 5ft off the floor. However, the main line then drops back down once it leaves the house. My sewage basin has an exit line that will actually allow the sewage water to flow to the sewer without being pumped, so technically I don't need the sewage pump. I guess I could connect my washing machine to discharge into a line but there are non available that connect to the mainline since it is 5ft off the floor where it exits the house.

My sewage basin is not covered and not vented to direct any of the gasses out the roof. I could easily run a vent to the attick and connect to the roof vent.
Thanks.

arnowell

Reaction score
Funky Smell

I was having the same problem about the sewage smell. I have no vent but I am also set up on a septic tank. I was forgetting to run water in a upstairs, sink, bath, and not flushing the toilet. This caused for the smell to run up where my traps where no long holding water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks