Sump Pump vent hole spray help

Users who are viewing this thread

WeezerNY

Reaction score
Hi all,

The switch on my Zoeller M53 was acting up and I was saved by my city water backup system. I have a fairly crowded sump pit with the sump pump, guardian water backup, and a large radon pipe. As I am not the original home owner I have no idea how old the pump is so I just replaced the whole thing.

The pit itself was full of probably decades of rust rocks and junk, cleaned it all out, installed a new M63 (supposedly updated M53 with cast impeller and better switch) with all new PVC, Zoeller quiet check valve, etc. As per the forums and the Zoeller instructions I drilled a 3/16 vent hole at a 45 degree angle in the bottom pipe, about 6 inches above the pump.

So after all this I was quite proud of myself. The pump and the water backup work great. However, the pressure coming out of the vent hole is such that it is hitting the wall and I am getting spray coming up out of the pit.

Any suggestion? Do I try to patch that hole and drill a new one at a sharper angle? Can I put some kind of hood that will direct the flow and limit splash from the side wall? The quiet valve uses a union joint so I cant just try a new piece of PVC with a fresh hole without wasting the whole valve.

I am fairly limited on how much I can move the pump itself due to the other stuff already in the pit.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Put a square piece of rubber, or even a curved piece of hose, over the hole with a hose clamp on the end to act as a hinge. It will direct the spray downwards without compromising the function of the hole.

WeezerNY

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, having trouble visualizing what you are saying.

Essentially just affix some rubber to the pipe, snug at the top and loose at the bottom, so it works kind of like one of these? How would I attach a curved piece of hose?

402695.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Essentially just affix some rubber to the pipe, snug at the top and loose at the bottom, so it works kind of like one of these? How would I attach a curved piece of hose?
A single worm gear clamp at the top of the piece, I would think.

Split the hose longitudinally (axially).

Treeman

Reaction score
Square piece of rubber means something like a thin piece of tire inner tube.

Or, you could buy the appropriate size Fernco fitting. Slice it open vertically to slip it over the pipe and secure the top with the hose clamp. The spray will shoot out, hit the rubber "umbrella" and drop straight down. You don't need the lower clamp.
couplings-adaptors-p1056-32-64_1000.jpg

WeezerNY

Reaction score

Or, you could buy the appropriate size Fernco fitting. Slice it open vertically to slip it over the pipe and secure the top with the hose clamp. The spray will shoot out, hit the rubber "umbrella" and drop straight down. You don't need the lower clamp.

Ah thats a great idea thanks!

WeezerNY

Reaction score

worked like a champ thanks! Used a 1.5 to 3 inch.

Bert Lee

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to thank everyone for this idea. I stumbled on this thread and it was exactly what I needed. Simple, cheap, easy and very effective! It has quieted the crazy loud frantic spray to something closer to a toilet tank filling and controls the unwelcome spray and splashing. I cut this in half to test, and I knoe the original idea was to simply split but the I think the metal arm is a bit in the way to accommodate the full round version. May tweak a bit but this is beautiful. Not seen the idea anywhere else. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/gu4PhGnoAAs

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks