Sump Pump Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbingtrouble111

Reaction score
Losing my mind over here! My downstairs toilet is connected to small sump pump for seware. Sump pump basin filling with water and overflowing and sump pump not turning on automatically to empty. We have to keep resetting for it to empty.
Thought it was a problem with sump pump so we purchased a new one from Home Depot, and after day 1, new sump pump doing the same thing.
Maybe a clog??? But toilet line was snaked and no issues flushing toilet. Also when pump is reset no issue with the water draining out to seware line. What am I missing? Thanks to all for your help

Attachments

• 20171021_143224.jpg
    20171021_143224.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To handle wastes, that pump is usually called an ejector 0r grinder pump. A sump pump is generally associated with the removal of ground water and consists of just liquids. You need to be very careful when using this type of system to ensure you do not let anything into the basin that might jam up the pump. It should only be 'fed' stuff that came essentially, out of you and toilet paper deemed safe to use, and often, that's not the thick, cushy stuff.

It sounds like the float valve that is supposed to turn the pump on after it detects the basin is filling up is not always working. That could be a sticky switch, or it could be the float itself is caught on something. Hard to say for sure without being there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks