Sump pump noise

Users who are viewing this thread

adams

Reaction score
I have a horrible water hammer noise when my sump pump shuts ff. It is an 8 ft rise and 30 ft run outside 1 1/2 pvc. I have tried repositioning the check valve from the horizontal run coming out of the pit to the vertical run, up the wall. I have tried putting the check valve closer to the pump and at the farthest point. I have tried a different check valve. I have tried two check valves. I even tried a pvc y above the check valve to an air chamber or capped length of pvc to act as a water hammer arrestor. I was going to try to put a small 3/4 inch spring loaded check valve just outside the foundation Y'ed into the 1 1/2 inch pvc to allow a vacuum break. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated Adam

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is the 30 foot run outside holding water or is a gravity drain after the piping turns horizontal from the 8 foot vertical rise?. The weight of the water may be slamming the check valve shut. If this is the case, rearranging the piping could possibly help silence it a bit.

adams

Reaction score
It does hold water. I was going to install a vacuum relief check valve in that part before the long run. I drilled a small hole in the pipe to test this, it did relieve a great deal of vacuum and reduced many thumps to just one loud one. I was wondering if the flap type check valve I have in now is any louder than a spring loaded 1 1/2 pvc type? Thanks for your reply

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Banging Check Valve

adams said:
It does hold water. I was going to install a vacuum relief check valve in that part before the long run. I drilled a small hole in the pipe to test this, it did relieve a great deal of vacuum and reduced many thumps to just one loud one. I was wondering if the flap type check valve I have in now is any louder than a spring loaded 1 1/2 pvc type? Thanks for your reply

When the sump pump stops pumping, the check valve should close once, you should not be able to here many thumps. This indicates that the check flap is bouncing, again possibly because of the weight of the water. I never have installed a spring check on drainage piping so I cannot say if it would work better or not. There are check valves that have rubber on the flap to help muffle the sound when it closes.

rrspsrme

Reaction score
Did you fix the problem?

Are your sure it's the check valve? I'd try hooking it up without any check and see what happens.

I am currently having the same problem. It's a loud hammer and about 5 or 6 big thumps. It's not the pipe hitting anything it's the valve. I have also changed the foot valve and the same thing. I was thinking about putting in 2 foot valves to take the pressure off of the one. So I am very interested in finding out if you fixed the problem.
Thanks in advance.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Head to your local plumbing supply store and ask for the Quiet Silent Check Valve. These are spring loaded checks that eliminate the hard thump that normal check valves experience. I have had many home owners praise me for installing this valve for them. Below is a picture , the come in clear body or solid white. Many like the clear body so they can see their pump pumping.

4307054_031309l_vs.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks