sump pump in walk out basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

JimLS

Reaction score
Located in St. Louis. Planning a new house. Plans call for a sump. Current house is a walk out about 40 feet from a steeper slope that goes down over 50' of elevation. We ran inside drain tile to daylight at the edge of the steeper slope and never have to worry about basement water or a pump breaking down. Haven't had a problem with ice at least partly because there is no drainage from pipe.

We only have about a foot of elevation drop on our new lot but ground continues to slope down away from the lot so flooding is not an issue.

Wondering if a pump is necessary or advisable if I can run drain tile to daylight. Freezing is an issue at the end of the pipe and where it is shallow in the ground. The interior pipe has note that says something about running from sump to daylight but I haven't been impressed with the plans person and think that may be a note taken from a previous project. There is no note on the outer drain pipe. Does the outer pipe normally drain to daylight and the inner one to the sump? If I should run the inner one to the outside to daylight I need to know that when doing the foundation. Or should the outer one also go to the sump? I know there are probably several acceptable ways to do this so thinking over options...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks