Sump pump discharge pipe noise driving us insane - any fixes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaspray

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for any tips you may have!
Basement Systems just installed an interior perimeter drain and sump pump. They installed the discharge line immediately underneath our bed’s headboard, under the bedroom window. The noise of the sump and the water rushing through the pipes we can get used to, but the way the water glugs through the outdoor pipe is waking us up each time it happens, which after a recent rain is about every 15 minutes.
The glugging lasts for upwards of a minute, and seems like it’s coming from inside the vertical pipe before it turns and heads into the yard to the outlet. Is there anything besides completely changing the interior lines and re-drilling through the foundation to move the entire drainage system that can be done to minimize this noise?
Here’s a photo, and if links are allowed, this is the sound in question: https://imgur.io/a/V8rBRyv
5A6D4B52-D964-4CCA-96D2-E5777166910F.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the pipe in the basement go higher and then drop down to exit the wall? I am thinking that a vacuum breaker at the peak of the pipe may cure the glug-glug. I am not a pro, and have not actually done this.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for an open pipe to make that sound. I would cut those 90s off and cut those ice guards off, then glue on some couplings then another 90 on the horizontal line then a section of pipe on the vertical end of the 90 and then stick it down the drain line coming out of the ground. you will have the same setup but now the water will go straight down the drain. which is cheaper? move the line or sound proof windows?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The line is probably too small for the volume of water going through it....Maybe it goes along way
before discharging into the storm sewer..... and the glugging sound is the water finally pouring into
the main line.....

you might just want them to increase the size of the underground's line to a 4 inch perforated drain tile that
can accommodate more volume and you wont hear the glugging sound any longer

inside the house you should have silent check valves installed and perhaps they should insulate the lines under
your bedroom with rubber insulation and re-hang the lines so they don't vibrate

Ray Foulkes

Reaction score
Hi, did you ever find a solution? That glugging sound can only be caused by one of two things: -

either : -

1. The valve is leaking in which case the pipe will glug until it is empty and the water which returns to the sump pit will hasten the next pump cycle, or -

2. The discharge pipe runs down hill and then up again, at least for a little bit, before it finally reaches the discharge end of the pipe, this is the most common cause.

The pipe should go from the pump to the highest point in one go and then only run down hill from there, even if the pipe bellies a little where it is supposed to run horizontally it will cause it to glug, or even if it is dead horizontal for more than a few feet it can. You need to ensure that it goes downhill from the highest point to prevent the problem.

I would have thought that contacting the Basement Systems installer who installed it would be your first port of call.

If you ever need to waterproof another basement get in touch and I will be happy to help you with a DIY installation.
You can buy the Waterguard System and all the accessories for DIY installaion at www.absorders.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks