Sump pump discharge line

Users who are viewing this thread

Inverno4

Reaction score
Recently I've notice my sump pump discharge line making a gurgling sound, kind of like when you pour soda out of a 2 liter bottle. I took out the sump pump and tested it in a bucket of water with and without the check valve attached. It works, though I'm not sure how far water should spray up out of the pipe. There was no clogging anywhere on it. There is an anti-airlock hole drilled so that isn't it. It used to spray water like crazy out of the discharge line when on but now it just gurgles out the line. Any ideas? Nothing has changed with the whole plumbing of the piping.

xprtplumber

Reaction score
Website
xprtplumber.com
We have found that sump pumps on average last between 3-5 years depending on the condition and rate of flow of your groundwater. The Zoeller M53 sump pumps that we sell and install come with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty. Good rule of thumb for Sump Pumps is to change them out around the 5 year mark, this is fairly inexpensive insurance against a costly flooded basement. For those reading this post with general questions about sump pumps we have a short article on our site detailing the basics it can be viewed here.

Inverno4

Reaction score
Its a Liberty model 237 sump pump. The previous one lasted over 10 years. I checked the impellers, they were fine. Since posting, I have cleaned the pump and check valve very well. Also ran a hand auger through the discharge line as far as I could to make sure it wasn't clogged. Lastly, I angled my outside portion of the discharge line at more of a downward slope so no air gets sucked back up in. One of these things worked, but I'm not sure which!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks