Sump float question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by hidden 1, Mar 5, 2020.

1. hidden 1

hidden 1 Member

On the float style sump pump, at what point do the floats enguage the motor?
    Also how do I need to adjust the float to get the water out sooner?
    This has a clip in it to put line on float.
    It doesnt seem to be engaging when water is at the point where it's almost fully horizontal.
    Any info is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    I will move this to plumbing where they are more familiar with sump pumps. But where you zip tie or tether the float switch and how much slack you give it is the only adjustment you have.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

I've had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" . No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.

valveman likes this.
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

As long as the water is not in danger of getting near the rim of the sump, it is usually better on the pump to let it pump more water each time.

valveman likes this.
  6. hidden 1

hidden 1 Member

Thanks.
    I found out from looking at other ones it has to be at about 45 degrees for the ball to move inside to kick on.
    I'll try to zip tie or clamp the wire so it will bend faster.
    I think I may just need to adjust it more. I will try that!
    Is 4 inches ,from the end of float , on the clip a good," quick responding" way to set it ,its 1 ft in ground?

Side note- If I do find I need to replace the float can I remove the one on it from the base where its wired in, an on the new float ,cut the end of the 8ft piggyback plug off an wire it in?
    This pump has a 20 ft power cord which is the length to the plug an no piggy back with it ,just single plug.
    I tried the replacement float temporarily,[piggyback plug], with the extention cord to both an put original float in "on" position an once it finished pumping there was a hum so this wont work by just piggy back plug in .[maybe using the extension cord to test could have factored it, but its 18ft away from outlet].

Attached Files: