Sump basin that’ll squeeze into a narrow corner

Users who are viewing this thread

duhmojo

Reaction score
Hi! I’m glad I stumbled upon this forum. It’s seems active and I’ve been disappointed with the info and products I’ve found online regarding sump basins.

I have a cottage with a 12” below grade basement slab that I’m redoing. As part of this effort I’m planning a sump pit in the back corner where basically a rock face slopes into the back 1/4 of the cottage. I spent the last 2 weekends digging and jacking rock out of the area and I now have a good spot with good depth. However my plan is to build a supporting wall in front of the rock (with footing) and the effective space for the sump is down to maybe 15” x 24” x 24-30” deep. I don’t think I can take much more off the boulder in that area. The sump is mainly for super heavy rain, and snow run off.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven’t been able to find any sealed basins that are rectangular, or basins that are less of a cone and 15” to 16” at the top. I don’t mind reusing a suitable container. I’m going to head to a locator scrap yard, and antique store that has a ton of old junk. My neighbour suggested an old, small water tank that I could cut the top off. A water tank obviously has to deal with water, so it’s probably suitable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.plastic-mart.com/category/54/polyethylene-rectangle-tanks

Maybe you don't need that to be waterproof. How about putting your pump directly into your hole in the rock, and making some kind of cover to fit. If you don't have a 4-sided hole, you could build the missing wall with cement.

If you want to waterproof the cavity, you could treat it with the stuff that is used for waterproofing shower pans.

duhmojo

Reaction score
Thanks Reach. I’ve read about different options such as building your own. I kind of worry I’ll regret not trying to find a sump basin with a nice fitting lid that includes grommets. I’m really disappointed that there only seems to be one Bur-cam model st the hardware stores. An oval seems like an easy offer for larger situations.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are talking about sewage being pumped (including toilet output), then you need a sealed and vented system. The vent needs to connect to the roof. An AAV will not do that job. I had been thinking you were referring to a ground water handling pit with a sump pump. Those don't need to be sealed or vented.

Saniflo has some small units intended to service rear-exit toilets. They are not big.

Look at https://www.libertypumps.com/Category/grinder-pumps-systems too.

duhmojo

Reaction score
No, I meant that newer sump basins have a sealed lid for radon gas (and odor) and ideally there would be an oval model. It’s not for septic.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Not what you are seeking, but most homes have sump pits which do not have lids that seal tightly if at all. If there is a known radon issue, that would be cause for one, but it does not sound like you have any type of foundation drain tiles or such either.
We have whole subdivisions with sump pits that were made from a cut-off section of 18" SDR pipe with 3-4" of cement poured in the bottom. There are 18" risers and lids for corrugated pipe too.
Unless you get a mouse in the pit, ground water is clear water and a sump pit does not normally produce any smell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks