Sulfur smell from bacerial infection of pex tubing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Stagnant water heaters can get a bacterial infection that causes a hygrogen-sulfide gas build up but is killed when the water is heated. Years ago I had a lav poly supply infected on the hot side. Only the first flow in the morning use could you smell sulfur. I replaced the supply and it was gone. Could cold side poly water lines in a house get infected throughout the house?
The bathroom in question was served by tank type water heater until a month ago and now is a tankless water heater. The bathroom was repiped about a year ago with Aquapex, removing the old copper lines. Homeowner says they smell it on cold side only.

I have a kilt and am not afraid to wear it. Someday, all plumbers will wear kilts.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks