Sulfer smell after changing resin

Users who are viewing this thread

tazzy2003

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Our water softener is Kinetco and we are unable to find any real information on the softener and we are unsure if our serviceman is being totally hones with us. They are the only dealer here as well. We cleaned out our bring tank boy that was nasty about 20 year old system never been cleaned. Our resin need to be changed out as well but they found that it had old resin and carbon as well. The stuff that came out was like a black muddy sludge. They did not put the carbon back in there and now we have sulfur smell that we did not have before. We have 3 tanks one is for aerator venturi, and two other tanks full of resin. The smell is still in the cold water but not in the hot water yet. It's only been two days. My questions are do we open or close the venturi system to allow more air into the aerator tank? Do we really need the carbon back into the other tanks? Also on the venturi valve we saw water dripping not pouring not shooting just like one or two drips? Is that normal?

Thanks

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would think that you want carbon after your air system. The air will oxidize the sulfur and the carbon will remove it. You may not want to mix the carbon & resin because the carbon will need to be replace way before the resin.

tazzy2003

Reaction score
Yeah I am not sure where to put the carbon, we have 3 tanks 2 are full of resin and the other is just air. Any recommendations? Right now we are still adding air to it. It may work with just adding air. The smell comes and goes so we are giving it till Monday to see if we need to add more air. I do want to say this. The first day the smell was pretty bad. 24 hours later it was kinda smelly but not as bad. Now its just the washer and the sink that it comes and goes but not nearly as strong and we did add more air to it . We decided to give it until Monday and see if the smell is there if so we are gonna add more air.

Last edited:

tazzy2003

Reaction score
Here is the injector
https://imgur.com/a/3I9NK
m5oftR

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Looks like a mazzei injector, these tend to work at very specific flow rates. For most residential applications we recommend a different injector that is adjustable for a wider range of flow rates.

tazzy2003

Reaction score
Any recommendations so I have an idea of what to look for. The water place never said anything about that and now I am wondering why he didn't. Our system only has 53 psi atm. Is that injector effects the air going into the first tank (home made sulfur tank)?

tazzy2003

Reaction score
Any recommendations so I have an idea of what to look for. The water place never said anything about that and now I am wondering why he didn't. Our system only has 53 psi atm. Is that injector effects the air going into the first tank (home made sulfur tank)?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The mazzei injector can be used to draw chemicals or air into a product stream. The Mazei injectors are excellent but they are very limited. They work within a small flow rate range. The Micronizer has an integrated bypass which can be used to divert more or less water through the injector allowing it to have a wider flow rate range. Can you post pictures of your entire system? The venturi injectors can leak when the check valve starts to wear out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks