Suggestions please. This is under my bathtub. It started leaking. What should I replace this with?

Users who are viewing this thread

James11

Reaction score
4D4B1B3F-5FA7-43EA-92B4-D8C1C7B19C85.jpeg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The way the cable drain is connected, you don’t have many options without replacing it. Short of that, the angle on the slip joint may be causing the leak. The washer that seals the slip joint seals properly when the pipe and fittings are all square to one another. Make sure the water is not leaking down from the overflow before you tear into the drain.

James11

Reaction score
Thanks Cacher. The leak was at the drain elbow. When I started to work on it, the pvc just slid right out of the brass piece. I will get a new drain elbow. Should I replace the pvc with brass? Or should I just get a new slip washer and nut, and new pvc? (But I don’t plan on touching the overflow if I don’t have to)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Plastic lasts forever in a perfect world, and good brass has gotten hard to come by. You would be safe using either, it is mostly just a matter of what you are comfortable working with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks