Suggestions on check valve quality

Users who are viewing this thread

DRogers

Reaction score
After joining this forum less than 24 hours ago I have had my eyes opened to the use of a CVS. While I pursue that avenue I also have a question. I have a Wellmate tank that I use in my greenhouse. This tank is not to supply anything but misting of plants which is done automatically and uses about 6 gallons per day. There is a brass check valve between the tank and the piping from my well where I have a separate bladder tank that feeds this and the rest of the property. The valve has hinged brass flapper and is mounted in the verticle position such that gravity aids in closing the flapper. This tank gives me a "cushion" if I loose the pump in the well (which being in Florida has happened twice in 2 years due to lightning). It allows the plants to be misted while I correct the cause of any interruption. I seem to be getting some leakage back through this valve. Can someone suggest a better valve or way to do this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Describe your system. Jet pump pumping from a sand point or what? There are many cases where a check valve at the input to the pressure tank is not a good idea.

DRogers

Reaction score
The pump is 70' down a 105' well casing. This check valve is some 100' from the check valve at the well. There is a 100 mesh filter just before this check valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
You should not normally have a check valve after the check valve that is at the top of the submersible pump and before the pressure tank. The one at the top of the pump may be built into the pump, or it may be a separate unit right above the pump.

If you put another check valve at the pressure tank (and it happens and unfortunately is mandated in some areas) you can get a hammering as the water comes up. Plus if there is a small leak in the pipe, it could allow some ingress of contaminated water. That part is not so important for misting plants, but it could be for drinking.

But if you want a check valve, see https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/recommended-check-valve-for-rainwater-cistern.63207/ and https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/check-valves-what-ones-work-the-best.46241/

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a "swing check", what you really need is a spring loaded check valve made by Simmons or Flowmatic.

As for checkvalves at the tank....I've heard all the arguments against it, but have yet to see any problems from them other than occasionally the spring gets a bit weak and they rattle when the pump is running.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I see problems from multiple check valves all the time. But the way you are using that extra tank and check valve for misting should be fine. Just need a spring loaded check valve like Craigpump says.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks