Suggestions on a new multimeter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader90

Reaction score
Mostly read and post over on the Water Softener board.... Thought I would venture out a bit on this forum...

I am looking to buy a new digital multimeter. Besides the obvious best-in-class, i.e. Fluke, any other feedback from others here? Looking online, see lots of APAC (China) devices online, but am concerned about quality at the pricing I am seeing. Quality for me = accuracy and safety. I have looked at review sites and a few YouTube videos. I don't want to spend more than $150. Used mostly as a DIYer, but includes measuring 120 and 240 AC circuits in homes/neighbors, low voltage DC electronics, capacitors in HVAC systems, resistor values, temperature (nice to have) to measure supply ducts (though I can also use a IR temp tool I have for that). I do have a solar system now so I did by a AC current clamp meter recently - so I am good there. Looking for accuracy, speed to reading of measurement, UL listed, Cat III safety rated as minimum, perhaps a 2 or 3 year warranty (not overly important). Digital of course.

Anyone feel strong about a multimeter they have started using in past couple of years (other than a Fluke)?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Meter costing $60 that when on ohms and voltage is applied either blows a fuse or just shuts off is a meter that u want( not that i ever blew up a meter) Compare the leads with a more expensive meter. Cheap leads cheap meter. If u need a meter for everyday is different than one used once or twice a month. Cheap fluke will last years. Just remember your life depends on it.

Last edited:

Reader90

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!! Focusing on either Klien, Greenlee or Extech at the moment. I think their safety, warranty and pricing options will work well for me.

Expanding a bit - As I mentioned, I do have a clamp meter (Extech), but am also looking at a flexible, rogowski coil type clamp meter with logging. I have a Home Solar PV system now and am not convinced the data I am getting from the Solar PV OEM monitoring is correct. Most clamp meters have a solid (hard shell) CT coil to clamp and I have "very hard to get at" circuits in my breaker panel. So, I am looking at a AC/DC clamp meter (mostly need just AC, but can see the day coming wanting to measure my DC voltages at panel - independent from the OEM optimizer) that has the rogowski coils as an option and ability to log data over time to a PC or smartphone. I know Fluke makes them (have both rogowski coils AND logging), but have not found others that offer both functions, i.e. there are others that have rogowski coils, but not the logging. Yes I know -- this tool will probably set me back $300+, but might be able to find one with enough DMM functionality as well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMHO, you want one rated to cat III. It's unlikely that you'd need one rated to the new cat IV. The higher the CAT rating, the safer it is regarding voltage leakage or flashover. That also means it will have better leads.
digital-multimeter-safety-categories-big.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks