Suggestions for replacement of three Briggs toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

brennok

Reaction score
First off I am a total newbie when it comes to plumbing in general so if I left out anything please let me know. I have a plumber who is going to do the install but is unfamiliar with Toto so I am doing my own research as far as toilets I want to use as replacements.

I have three somewhat newer Briggs models currently in my house which is around 30 years old.

One, which I don't see a model number but the lid is the CH-7469 if that helps, which sits 1.5 inches from the wall with the bottom bolts at 12inches exactly. This is my biggest problem toilet as this bathroom backs up every 4 months or so.

Another one which also doesn't show a model number but uses the same lid, the CH-7469, sits flush against the wall and the bottom bolts are 10.5 inches from the wall. This one doesn't get that much use, but it still occasionally backs up probably more as a result of the first one.

The last is the 4965 which sits 2.5 inches from the wall with the bottom bolts at 14 inches. I don't have too many problems with this bathroom.

I hope I haven't missed anything but if I have please let me know. I am off to do more reading.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The original plumber didn't do you any favors! Toilets are ordered by their 'rough-in' dimmensions. This is the distance from the wall (not the baseboard) to the bolts in the flange. Sounds like you have one of each of the commonly available ones: a 10", a 12", and a 14". The one that sits so far from the wall uses a 12" rough-in, so it sits further from the wall. While this will work, it does, as you can see, moves the toilet out further into the room. Some people like this, as you can get behind , but painting back there is still tough without removing.

Toto does make some toilets in each of those rough-ins. It also has a unique solution that lets the exact same toilet fit properly (i.e., sit close ot the wall) by changing the adapter; they call this their Uni-Fit adapter. The toilets that do use them, come with one for 12" (the most common size), and you'd have to buy the 10", and 14" adapters. If you don't mind the extra distance (like what you have), you could use the 12" adapter that comes with it for the one with a 14" rough-in, or get the 14" one to shift it back 2" towards the wall. If you go to their website and search on Uni-fit, you should get all of the toilets that use it. I have a Vespin and a Carlyle installed in my home. The Vespin is a 2-piece, and the Carlyle is a one-piece toilet.

brennok

Reaction score
Luckily this plumber isn't the same plumber, but yeah some of the construction leaves a lot to be desired. Oh well I am slowly fixing it over time.

Yeah I was just reading and looking at pictures of the Uni-Fit. I really don't have any preference about whether it sits flush with the wall since I have plenty of space in all the bathrooms so I don't know that I would need it. For example the 10" and 12" both have about 30-32" from the front of the bowl to the wall while the 14" has 24" but the door for that bathroom opens out. The only reason I would really consider it, if I understand correctly, would be to allow me to go with a larger elongated bowl.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not necessarily, depending on the toilet, some round bowls are longer than some compact elongated ones (get one, you'll like it). I prefer the skirted sides on the toilet - no nooks and crannies to clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks