Suggestions for Recycling or Re purposing Water Softener Resin?

Users who are viewing this thread

blaze4545

Reaction score
Evening everyone!

Looking for any ideas on what to do with old water softener resin.

We are removing around 200 water softeners a year and are trying to find an environmentally conscious, and feasible alternative to just taking the resin to the garbage in a dump truck.

Generally, the resin has been fouled by iron or destroyed by chlorine/chloramines so cannot give to the proprietary companies for an acid recharge.

Tried several Polystyrene recycling plants in Ontario and they are either not shredding PS at this time or tell me it is too contaminated which makes sense.

All I see online is inadvisable suggestions like dispersing it in your garden bed or kids sandbox lol.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Landfill, considering the potential for contamination and the breakdown of plastics over time, better to simply landfill it than anything else. I would also highly recommend using a high grade 10% resin rather than the lower cost 6-8% stuff, this should greatly extend the life of your resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks