Suggestions for Heating a Small 4-Season Cottage in Wisconsin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
It's my first post on this forum so hello! I am renovating a small cottage that I would like to also use in the winter here in Northern Wisconsin. The cottage is 20'x20' and 2-stories (800 sq. ft.) with a living area & kitchen in the walk-out basement and 3 small bedrooms and a bathroom up above.

My question is how should I heat the place so that I can use it fairly often in our cold winters? I don't anticipate using it in sub-zero weather however. When completed, the cottage will have new windows, doors and insulation. There is a 25,000 BTU gas fireplace in the living area but it's clearly not enough for anything below 45 degrees. Wood heat is not an option and unfortunately, a traditional gas/forced air furnace is not really an option because of the needed ductwork with short 7' ceilings on each floor.

I am open to any suggestions. Thnaks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Baseboard heat is pretty easy and modular. The point at issue would be are you going to heat it for the whole season? Do you have running water? That might decide how you do it. Glycol can be used to fill a small boiler and piping for freeze protection.

I assume your going to evaluate the insulation and beef that up?

Fitter30

Reaction score
How reliable is the electric service and your breaker panel? With improving windows ,doors , insulation and assume finish the walls the load will change drastically. Two or three of electric quartz heaters till improvements are made.
fireplace half the heat is going up the chimney if the lp burner was a after thought.

Reaction score
Thanks John. We're likely to leave the heating system on over the winter as I anticipate using the cottage fairly frequently for snowmobiling and ice fishing (you have to have an outdoor hobby here or you'll go crazy over our long winters!) Along with that, we'll be ae to leave out water on. The walls are standard 2x4 but will have new insulation - R15. We'll be able to put a lot of insulation in the attic during the Remodel too - R30.

Pat
How reliable is the electric service and your breaker panel? With improving windows ,doors , insulation and assume finish the walls the load will change drastically. Two or three of electric quartz heaters till improvements are made.
fireplace half the heat is going up the chimney if the lp burner was a after thought.

Baseboard heat is pretty easy and modular. The point at issue would be are you going to heat it for the whole season? Do you have running water? That might decide how you do it. Glycol can be used to fill a small boiler and piping for freeze protection.

I assume your going to evaluate the insulation and beef that up?

Reaction score
The electric service around there is pretty good although there's been a couple of extended outages of 1-2 dats over the past 7-8 years. Fortunately, I get text notifications of outages and only easidebless than an hour away.

I'm not sure what you mean "if the LP burner was an afterthougt"????

Pat

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Electric baseboard heat or something similar would be the easiest way to go. Hydronic heat has a higher top end without having to beef up your electric service. You'll need a gas line though. Propane likley.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The electric service around there is pretty good although there's been a couple of extended outages of 1-2 dats over the past 7-8 years. Fortunately, I get text notifications of outages and only easidebless than an hour away.

I'm not sure what you mean "if the LP burner was an afterthougt"????

Pat
Wood burning fireplace with a add on lp heater vrs factory lp fireplace

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks