Suggestions for fitting vanity top

Users who are viewing this thread

tan

Reaction score
I am planning to remodel the bathroom and want to replace the vanity and top. The vanity is between two walls, but cabinet and space is the standard 36". The problem is that all the pre-made vanity tops are 37". Without building a custom top, is there a way to get the vanity installed or would I need to cut 1/2" on both sides? Can the vanity top be left as is but extend into the drywall 1/2" on each side?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Most tops are not standard at 37" Look around. The backsplash typically covers the gap between the walls and the top. Will you be using a back splash?

Moving the drywall doesn't seem worth it to me. Not sure it would solve your problems anyway.

If you looking for granite you could get a really good price since you'd be shopping reminent. Then they could cut it to whatever size you wanted.

Tom

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most "parallel" walls are not perfectly parallel or sqaure with the back. You will at least want a backsplash, which may be integral with the top. To get a "perfect" fit you need either a template or precise layout by someone who can measure and calculate angles accurately.

An "end-splash" on both ends, added after the top is in place, takes care of a lot of errors. You could use a small amount of ceramic tile on both ends to cover a 1/4" crack.

I like the molded sinks with a bit of recess around the bowl to contain the splash, in which case you usually don't need an "end-splash" on a wide lavatory top. You do need some way to accommodate the installation tolerances.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the plastic tops can be cut or sanded down. If they have a raised edge, it might not look great, but if they make optional end splash pieces, that should cover it up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

Unless there is nothing, such as a door trim, preventing you from sliding the top directly into the space, you will have to cut the top short so you can angle it in and then rotate it into position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks