Sudden loss of water

Users who are viewing this thread

ecoplunge

Reaction score
I have a residential well which has stopped producing water. This occured while the water was running in the house and caused the flow of water to stop as if someone had shut off the pump. There was no slow degredation of water pressure.
On inspection, the pump has tripped the overload protector and when reset the pump runs but sounds strained and trips again within a few seconds. A small amount of water is produced with this action and there is debris in the water (though not seemingly sand, more like build up from along the pipe wall). I have a fair suspicion that my inlet is blocked or the motor is being mechanically hindered and I am thinking about doing an inspection of the motor.
Other things to note:
I am located in a very sandy area in florida.
We have had an enormous amount of rain so low aquifer levels don't seem likely.
The well and pump are only 20 months old.
There is no filtration system of any kind on this well
It is a submersible pump style well - though I don't know anything else technical about the pump/well system.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be a appreciated. I am a handy person and prefer to do my own work. But if I need to head straight for a professional I'll give in.

Also, thank you for this forum. It is a real resource and a welcome jewel on an internet filled with useless distractions.

-Alex Brophy

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hi Alex.

The rapid decline in pressure is probably due to the bladder tank bottoming out.

If the pump starts and trips soon ofter, this indicates the start cap and relay are at least starting the motor. If the relay is bad (due to lightning or spike voltage) that would keep the start cap and start windings in line which would cause a rapid trip condition. All this is true only if this is a three wire pump.
Also the run capacitor (if it has one) could be bad causing the motor to pull higher than normal amps, tripping the overload.

Since you are in Florida as I am, we both know how much lightning there is this time of year. So it could be the motor. Sorry

bob...

ecoplunge

Reaction score
more research

I have done some electrical testing on the pump and control box, it is a sta rite pump and control - three wire plus ground, 1 HP:

The run capacitor appears to be bad (probably lightning). It shows a constant reading for resistance. Start cap appears ok

I tested the relay per the directions on the control box across terminals 5 and 2 and got a reading of 5.3kohms - my relay for some reason was not listed in the comparison chart but the ranges for all relays listed was between 1.5 and 8.0 leading me to believe the relay is probably fine. Correct assumption?

Testing the terminal connections I got the following readings for the pump motor:
red to yellow: comparison chart: 3.7 - actual: 3.2
black to yellow: comparison chart: 2.1 - actual: 2.8
red to black: comparison chart: 5.8 - actual: 1.3

The only one out of whack was the red to black. Am I correct to assume that this means the motor got hit?

At present I believe I am going to be replacing the motor and control box(or at least some of the components). Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Also as far as the actual replacment goes should I stick with the same brand? A company called Water Masters(I think) is stocked at Lowes. I can get a 1HP pump and control box for around $400. Also I will be installing a sprinklers system on this well. Are there any considerations for this such as going to a higher flow pump?

And finally: I keep hearing about a pitless style well. Is that the kind where the exit pipe is below the well cap? Mine has an exposed well head with the exit pipe and electrical connections coming out the top. I'm assuming this is not a pitless style. Is there anything I need to know about pulling the pump and replacing it. You know, critical information that would keep me from doing something like disconnecting the wrong thing and dropping the pump 100ft below ground :mad: . I am definitely handy but any prior warnings would be appreciated?

Again thanks for this forum and thank you for your reply Bob. If you ever need any advice about printing... :)

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ok Alex,

Looks like you did a good job of checking it out. The reading between black and red could be a problem. But I'de save that one till last.

If the run cap is bad, you will definately have to replace it. The relay should have 0 ohms on the points and around 4 to 7K on the coil. I can't remember which numbers are which, and I'm not at work where I can put my hand on one.

You don't have a pitless adaptor if your in most parts of Florida. As far as pulling the pump, it's just a matter of loosening the well seal bolts (four) but don't take them out. Just loosen them. Disconnect the pipe to the house and start lifting. It may be on Galvanized pipe, PVC or Poly. If galvanized, they will most likely be in 21 foot sticks and full of water.

I sell Myers pumps and my 1hp 20 gallon per minute is less than $375.00. I haven't figured out whether you can advertise on this site or not, so for now I won't put in any plugs for myself.

Where are you in Florida, I'm in Riverview, near Tampa.

bob...

roger

Reaction score
This sounds very similar to the problem I just fixed and it turns out to be the capacitor. Simple fix and inexpensive. Start with the cheap parts, I would have been better off. My symptom was that the pump ran for a second or two, shut off, started again after about 20 seconds, shut off after a second or two, ad nauseum. Capacitor was the problem. Hope this helps.

ecoplunge

Reaction score
Problem fixed!

Turns out it was indeed the run capacitor. A few bucks and a couple of minutes later everything was working again. Much better than pulling the pump!

Thanks to those who replied.

-Alex

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks