Sudden change in water color & taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question because I'm not sure if this is a filtration problem or a plumbing problem, but I'd like to start here. This morning I had something unusual happen. After getting up, I went to brush my teeth and the water coming out of my sink in our MBA had a brown tint to it and tasted terrible. I checked the water at my wife's sink and it was the same. I let the water at both sinks run for several minutes and it seems to have cleared up. I checked a couple of other sinks in the house and they did not have this problem. This has never ever happened before and the water at those two fixtures was fine last night when we went to bed.

We are on a well (800' deep). The house is plumbed with Uponor PEX. The pressure tank is in the house mechanical room. I have a Cycle Stop Valve on the system prior to the pressure tank. Water comes out of the pressure tank........ goes through a backwash filter with Katalox LIght filter media.....comes out of that filter...... and goes through a cartridge sediment filter.......comes out of that and goes through a UV bacteria filter.......comes out of that and has hydrogen peroxide injected into the flow with a static inline mixer to mix the H2O2 into the water.......goes through a catalytic carbon backwash filter......comes out and goes through a water softener........comes out of the softener and goes to the house. I have a RO filter on the kitchen drinking water but not on any other faucets in the house. I do use the water out of the MBA faucet when I brush my teeth. We have been in the house for 5 years and I have had the water tested by the county 3 times, both pre and post-filtration and the water is good. The RO filter in the kitchen was completely clean when the filters were checked in October for their annual service. The sediment filter that follows the Katalox Light backwash filter needs changing once a year, so the backwash filter is filtering any sediment well before it hits the cartridge filter.

All 3 backwash devices purged last night, separated by 1.5-hour schedules. One other note is that we had 4 inches of rain in one day last week which conceivably could have had some impact on the water migrating through the aquifer to the well.

I would like to know and try to address, what the possible explanations are for the water in only one pair of fixtures next to each other most definitely not being right this morning, with a very visible brown color and definite bad taste in a PEX system. I'm a retired builder and am capable of doing some piping and have the tools to work with Uponor piping. Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
After getting up, I went to brush my teeth and the water coming out of my sink in our MBA had a brown tint to it and tasted terrible.
Next time you get brown, put it into a glass or glass jar, and let it sit. Does something settle to the bottom?

Same color for hot and cold?

The problem sink is fed with water from the softener?

All 3 backwash devices purged last night, separated by 1.5-hour schedules. One other note is that we had 4 inches of rain in one day last week which conceivably could have had some impact on the water migrating through the aquifer to the well.
If water in your 800 ft well gets contaminated, possibly by tannins, by a big rain, then you would seem to have a defective well, or the top of the casing was not high enough to avoid getting flooded. Well seals don't seal.

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
Next time you get brown, put it into a glass or glass jar, and let it sit. Does something settle to the bottom?

Same color for hot and cold?
.....I did not check.....will if it does it again.

The problem sink is fed with water from the softener?
.......Yes in that it's part of the whole system in the house but there is not a direct home run from the softener to those 2 faucets.

If water in your 800 ft well gets contaminated, possibly by tannins, by a big rain, then you would seem to have a defective well, or the top of the casing was not high enough to avoid getting flooded. Well seals don't seal.
.......I'm quite certain that is not the problem. The well casing is 8" in diameter (the well was drilled before we bought the property (11 acres) intending for it to be a community well but it only serves our house). The seal is 2 years old and the wellhead is covered with a waterproof enclosure and there is a slope to the ground so water does not stand at all near the well.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks