sucking air in driven well

Users who are viewing this thread

bluegill

Reaction score
I have a summer cottage on a lake in N.E. Ohio. I shut the cottage down and drain the water each fall and then open it back up in the spring. This year I decided to get rid of my old jet pump and replace it. I bought one of those Harbor Freight 1hp shallow well pumps (max lift 164 ft, max suction depth 26 ft.) ( I estimate the well is 20-30 ft deep). The pump sits in a pump house next to the cottage and is only 3 feet from the well head Along with the new pump, I replumbed from the well to the new pump replacing galvanized with well pipe (poly pipe) and barbed plastic fittings with metal clamps at each connection. There is a new checkvalve between the wellhead and the pump. I triple checked to make sure all the connections were airtight by using soapsuds around the fittings. The pump will draw water and shut off, but I can hear that sound of marbles in the pump meaning air is getting in. Also, when the toilet is filling up, there is a moderate amount of bubbling. There is some spitting coming from the faucets. I can live with this if I have to but obviously something is not right. I have not taken the step of pulling the well casing. Is this possibly a problem that will go away with use? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air is probably not getting in or you would lose prime. Marble sound comes from cavitation. Cavitation usually comes from a restricted suction line. The suction line is to small, or the foot valve or check valve is restricting. Could also be the well screen is clogged up but, it was working and now it is not, so probably something you changed.

bluegill

Reaction score
After a little more investigation I'm thinking the pump is too powerful for the water draw on the well causing the cavitation. My next step is to install a flow control valve to slow down the sucking action of the pump. I thought it was an alternative that was not too difficult to do and might my fix my problem. I also have two 90 degree turns from the well head to the pump. Is there any type of pipe I could use instead that would bend and I could eliminate those 90's? Also, if the flow control valve is an option for me, where should it be placed, on the suck side, or the pressure side? If the suck side, between the well head and checkvalve or between the checkvalve and the pump? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Never put a restriction on the suction side. A ball valve will work for a restrictor. It needs to be on the discharge side of the pump, before the pressure switch connection. Before or after the check valve makes no difference.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If its a harbor fright pump, you could be getting air in from the casing or housing that some 6 year old in thongs assembled while squatting on a dirt floor sweatshop. Or maybe he dropped one of his marbles in with the impeller housing.

ESVAN

Reaction score
I'm using the same 1hp Harbor Freight pump, and so far it's working fine. But instead of a pressure tank I put in a 60-gal PE tank and a submersible sump pump (this well is for garden water only). When the tank is emptied, the Harbor Freight pump is allowed to turn back on and refill the big tank.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can eliminate sharp 90's with flexible PVC pipe or with vinyl-nylon reinforced tubing which is compatible with poly fittings.

One can buy a USA built Sta-rite or a nylon Sears or Graingers pump made by {?} for $185 to 275$ and will likely last as long as three or five of the harbor-take your dollar and send it to china pump debri companies product. Its shiny and bright, comes with a useless warranty, a tiny pressure tank with a bladder made of old wheelbarrow tires, and you will NEVER get a part to fix it. Well, you can try: call customer service in INDIA and burn a few hours of your short life before you slam down the phone.

I have a rule; if it has a plug on it, or a motor, you don't buy it from HF.

Last edited:

bluegill

Reaction score
Today I tore everything apart and fixed all the leaks and sweated on a ballvalve on the pressure side. Things seem to be working better although I still have some cavitation. I can live with what I have now. Thanks for all the advice and help. I'm staying out of HF unless what I want doesn't have a motor or moving parts. Now it's time to catch some fish!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks